Standing up...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
We all want to believe we would be the person who stands up for someone being bullied in public. That we would say something, step in, not let it happen on our watch.

EVER STOOD UP FOR A STRANGER IN PUBLIC?
WHAT HAPPENED?

I was at Kroger, in my scrubs with my hospital ID showing AND on company time to pick up some items for a patient. My friend was with me picking up items for one of her patients. We each had under 5 items and approached the 10 items or less lane. We saw an older, frail looking gentleman heading towards the lane and held back so he could get his 3 items.

Barreling down on us came a woman with well over 25 items. She raced to get in front of the older man and swooped in with her groceries, unloading them like they were on fire. The man said, "Ma'am, this is 10 items or less lane." And from there things went downhill fast.

The woman started screaming at this poor guy! She was in his face while still unloading and telling the cashier to keep checking her out. She would not stop her screaming, so the man turned his back to her and just stood stock still, looking horrified at what was happening. I figured the cashier would step in, or a manager would be called, but the cashier just kept checking her order out while she continued to threaten this poor guy. My friend looked at me, I looked at her, and decided enough was enough. In my best impression of authority, I firmly told her, "CHILL, lady! Back off." I may have growled that...lol

And by George it worked. She mumbled something about "People who think they can say whatever they want", I glared at her and she shut up. Once she was gone, the man AND the cashier both thanked me for backing her down. Cashier told me they are not allowed to interfere and she was waiting for a manager to come over, who never came.

I was at Kroger, in my scrubs with my hospital ID showing AND on company time to pick up some items for a patient. My friend was with me picking up items for one of her patients. We each had under 5 items and approached the 10 items or less lane. We saw an older, frail looking gentleman heading towards the lane and held back so he could get his 3 items.

Barreling down on us came a woman with well over 25 items. She raced to get in front of the older man and swooped in with her groceries, unloading them like they were on fire. The man said, "Ma'am, this is 10 items or less lane." And from there things went downhill fast.

The woman started screaming at this poor guy! She was in his face while still unloading and telling the cashier to keep checking her out. She would not stop her screaming, so the man turned his back to her and just stood stock still, looking horrified at what was happening. I figured the cashier would step in, or a manager would be called, but the cashier just kept checking her order out while she continued to threaten this poor guy. My friend looked at me, I looked at her, and decided enough was enough. In my best impression of authority, I firmly told her, "CHILL, lady! Back off." I may have growled that...lol

And by George it worked. She mumbled something about "People who think they can say whatever they want", I glared at her and she shut up. Once she was gone, the man AND the cashier both thanked me for backing her down. Cashier told me they are not allowed to interfere and she was waiting for a manager to come over, who never came.
I had a Kroger's manager tell me they are not permitted to enforce the 12 items or less at the express lanes. He said it was more of a suggestion than a rule.

My brother and I once chased off a couple high school age punks who were waiting for a nice little old lady coming out of a ATM kiosk one night. We walked her to her car, and when I got home I called the police and related what had happened.

I once worked as a bartender in a small restaurant/nightclub in Hollywood. All the servers were female so I was also the de facto bouncer. Sometimes jerks would have a few too many and start grabbing waitresses. So, I kept a baseball bat behind the bar. When the need arose I would yell at the offender, grab the bat and run to the end of the bar (the only way out from behind it). Usually, I never had to get any further than the end of the bar and the bad guy would be out on the street on his own. A few times I had to grab the guy but I only needed to hustle him outside with no violence necessary. If you do it quickly they don't even know what's happening until they look around and see they're out on the sidewalk. They would never come back after that.

My brother and I once chased off a couple high school age punks who were waiting for a nice little old lady coming out of a ATM kiosk one night. We walked her to her car, and when I got home I called the police and related what had happened.
As a nice little old lady I thank you for the care you took of a sister.

I once worked as a bartender in a small restaurant/nightclub in Hollywood. All the servers were female so I was also the de facto bouncer. Sometimes jerks would have a few too many and start grabbing waitresses. So, I kept a baseball bat behind the bar. When the need arose I would yell at the offender, grab the bat and run to the end of the bar (the only way out from behind it). Usually, I never had to get any further than the end of the bar and the bad guy would be out on the street on his own. A few times I had to grab the guy but I only needed to hustle him outside with no violence necessary. If you do it quickly they don't even know what's happening until they look around and see they're out on the sidewalk. They would never come back after that.
And a thank you from all of us ladies who really get tired of those jerks!