Spontaneous Human Combustion

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Of all the mysteries in the realm of the paranormal, few are as frightening as the controversial concept of spontaneous human combustion (SHC). The YouTube channel Dark5 has compiled a chilling overview of cases where it is believed that people fell victim to the fiery phenomenon. These incidents, spanning centuries and occurring in various parts of the world, share one thing in common: an unfortunate individual found dead via an inexplicable inferno which seemed to erupt from within them.

Among the stories covered in the collection is a 1725 case credited with being the inspiration for the first in-depth study of the phenomenon. At the center of the tale is a French woman named Nicole Millet, who was found burnt to death in her bedroom, yet none of the furniture around her seemed to be any worse for wear. The woman's condition baffled both her husband and the authorities who, unsurprisingly, assumed that the incident was a murder. In keeping with the curious nature of SHC, prosecutors were unable to prove that the husband had anything to do with the mysterious fire and the woman's demise was ultimately attributed to "a visit from God."

Although spontaneous human combustion is often thought of as an archaic esoteric phenomenon that we need not worry about in modern times, there are actually a handful of suspected SHC incidents that have taken place in recent years. One such story, featured in the video, is that of a man named Michael Faherty, who died in his home in Ireland back in 2010. Upon discovering his charred body, authorities were astounded by the condition of the room, since only the floor and the ceiling where his remains were found showed any signs of a fire. Everything else in the home was perfectly fine. Amazingly, Faherty's death was officially determined to be caused by spontaneous human combustion.

However, Faherty may not have been the most recent individual to succumb to spontaneous human combustion as, here at the C2C website, we've covered potential cases of the phenomenon taking place in 2015, 2017, and 2018. Whether that means we're due for another SHC at some point this year is a question we'd rather not even consider.

Video: 5 Creepy Cases of Spontaneous Human Combustion - Coast to Coast AM

Dark5 is one my favorite YouTube channels.

I also get to cite - for the second time in a week! - Frank Edwards' 1959 book 'Stranger Than Science'.

In it there is an essay called Incredible Cremations that is about the case of Mary Reeser, 67, who was discovered almost completely consumed by fire on July 2, 1951 in her St. Petersburg, FL apartment. Only her left foot, a shrunken piece of her skull and several vertebrae remained. The easy chair that she had been sitting in was also entirely consumed by fire, except for the coil springs. Yet, there was only peripheral heat damage anywhere else in the room. A mirror had cracked, two candles had melted along with an electrical outlet, and there were sooty deposits on the drapes and walls. There was also only minor damage to the carpet directly below the chair. It was estimated that the temperature would have had to reach 2500 Fahrenheit in order to cause the cremation effects to Mrs. Reeser's body. Needless to say, investigators were baffled by what could have caused such damage to Reeser's body and left the rest of the room largely unscathed.

I had always thought, perhaps mistakenly, that this was one of the iconic cases. So I am surprise that it did not make the Dark5 video.

There is also one other interesting historical point from a language perspective. In the essay, Edwards never used the phrase spontaneous human combustion. So that must have been coined later. I wonder when it was first used.

It is a mystery how the body can heat up so much in a short time to ONLY burn the body and nothing more.

Reactions: ozentity
Even if it is some chemical malfunction in the body it doesn't explain why the surrounding area isn't burnt with so much heat generated as said.I'm leaning towards paranormal influence.

Reactions: ParanormalMom
Even if it is some chemical malfunction in the body it doesn't explain why the surrounding area isn't burnt with so much heat generated as said.I'm leaning towards paranormal influence.
There something more to it I mean I can be wrong but I think to cremation to turn bones to dust is like over 1,000 degrees again I can be wrong so if the body get over 1,000 degrees and nothing else burns, something ain't right , think you may be on to something paranormal has to be a part of it.

There something more to it I mean I can be wrong but I think to cremation to turn bones to dust is like over 1,000 degrees again I can be wrong so if the body get over 1,000 degrees and nothing else burns, something ain't right , think you may be on to something paranormal has to be a part of it.
Yeah, those sort of temps would surely catch wood or fabric alight and the room.If it is paranormal its a very nasty entity.

Reactions: ParanormalMom
Yeah, those sort of temps would surely catch wood or fabric alight and the room.If it is paranormal its a very nasty entity.

Well no normal human spirit would be able to do that, they don't have that ability to help someone body burst into flames not burn down the whole place.
The only one who could manipulate and do that would be demons, f you think about they are angels still just fallen Angel's . But as it as all demons nasty little buggers?