Space signal and Seti

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Mysterious Space Signal Intrigues SETI Scientists

Radio-Telescope.jpg

August 29, 2016

News that a Russian observatory detected an unexplained radio signal emanating from a distant sun-like star has SETI scientists springing into action.

The mysterious signal was apparently discovered by scientists at Russia's RATAN-600 radio telescope in May of 2015.

For reasons unexplained, the find was not made public until this past weekend, which SETI lead astronomer Seth Shostak found to be a rather curious decision.

In an email to the website GeekWire, Shostak noted that the ideal scenario, upon discovering such a signal, would be for another telescope to confirm the find.

Fortunately, now that other researchers are aware of the mysterious signal, that is just what they plan to do.

Both SETI's Allen Telescope Array as well as another alien-hunting observatory in Panama have already begun observing the star, known as HD 164595, beginning on Sunday evening.

While they are, of course, hopeful that the signal could be a sign of extraterrestrial life, Shostak was characteristically cautious about the possibility.

"The signal may be real, but I suspect it’s not ET," he told GeekWire.

SETI scientists say that the signal could have been created by an astral phenomenon known as microlensing, where a star's gravity warps radio signals, or even a technical error here on Earth.

Nonetheless, they have HD 164595 in their sights and hope to know more about the strange signal soon.

Should it turn out to have an extraterrestrial source, let's hope the discovery is revealed faster than the Russians' revelation about its initial detection.

Reactions: 7Critter and Mokey
Seth could get a signal saying: We are not from this planet or solar system, we are, as you call, extra terrestrials. We would like to formally come and introduce ourselves to your government and your citizens. We mean no harm.

And he'd still find a way to deny it wasn't an alien signal.

Seth could get a signal saying: We are not from this planet or solar system, we are, as you call, extra terrestrials. We would like to formally come and introduce ourselves to your government and your citizens. We mean no harm.

And he'd still find a way to deny it wasn't an alien signal.
I honestly think you are right! The man could get an engraved invite, and he'd deny it. Why he's in charge of Seti, I don't know! He's got a very closed mind on things.

Reactions: Lynne and Mokey
Why does he even do this work since it's apparent he's made his mind up already about them not existing. Someone who truly believes in the possibility
I honestly think you are right! The man could get an engraved invite, and he'd deny it. Why he's in charge of Seti, I don't know! He's got a very closed mind on things.
and can be excited deserves this job!

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
Apparently they are back stepping now, saying its not E.T. They are saying the signal was mistaken for E.T., but is actually a signal from here on earth. Uuuuhh.....cover up anyone?! Idk how the heck they can back step now after they waited to announce this for a year. Wthells ever! Other governments have already confirmed aliens existing, why is our government still wanting to keep us in the dark?! Ugh! Geez! Clyde talked abt on last nights show..

Reactions: JoMama and Debi
Apparently they are back stepping now, saying its not E.T. They are saying the signal was mistaken for E.T., but is actually a signal from here on earth. Uuuuhh.....cover up anyone?! Idk how the heck they can back step now after they waited to announce this for a year. Wthells ever! Other governments have already confirmed aliens existing, why is our government still wanting to keep us in the dark?! Ugh! Geez! Clyde talked abt on last nights show..
Yes, I saw they are back stepping it again. Seth Shostack was grinning ear to ear with glee with his pronouncement of it being "terrestrial"...which makes me suspicious of this pronouncement right there with Seth involved!

Let us watch as they play their games.
Exactly Mokey. They think we're a bunch of dummies out here. You are right about Seth. He's a government mouth piece in my opinion

Reactions: Mokey