News Sorry doesn't really work.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/eric-harris-robert-bates-tulsa-shooting/

A video released on Friday by law enforcement officials in Tulsa, Okla., shows police fatally shooting an unarmed black man and then mocking his cries of agony as he lay dying on the street.

The video, which was recorded on a police body camera on April 4, shows officers giving chase to Eric Harris, who was attempting to escape on foot. One law enforcement official takes Harris down. During the ensuing struggle, an officer can be heard yelling, "Taser! Taser!"

However, Reserve Deputy Robert Bates takes out a gun and shoots Harris at close range. "I shot him, I'm sorry," Bates said immediately after pulling the trigger.

I might be more inclined to buy the "I'm sorry" if there wasn't so much aggression still on display after the shooting. I realize the adrenaline is pumping, but you have to take into account that there is a man lying there who was just shot while on the ground. Accident or not, the priority is to get medical help, not show him that yours is bigger than his.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Debi
This is just getting out of hand. I know there are very good police officers out there, but I am concerned the training and mind-set has changed. We need to get back to the LEAST amount of force to take people into custody. Unless they're holding a gun on you, there are other ways to subdue someone. Too fast on the trigger these days.

Reactions: surge
bean bag rounds work great with a shot gun. I don't understand why they do not use them more.

it's all money and equipment trickling down from the "war on terror" funds. That and the mindset has changed. Domestic terrorism is a thing now. All civilians are thought of as a potential enemy instead of what needs protected.
What really grinds my gears is they always say "black man". Office shot an unarmed black man. No, he shot an unarmed man. Damn media is trying to divide us, and everyone just falls in line. It's sad

This is just getting out of hand. I know there are very good police officers out there, but I am concerned the training and mind-set has changed. We need to get back to the LEAST amount of force to take people into custody. Unless they're holding a gun on you, there are other ways to subdue someone. Too fast on the trigger these days.
Yes, the profession has changed greatly over the years. It used to be that it was extremely difficult to make it through the hiring process, and only the best of the best were chosen. Now, a lot of qualified people don't want to do the job any longer, so the pool is not as good as it used to be. I also don't like the fact that police agencies are going too para-military and not a community policing agency as in days past.

Reactions: sal, Debi and surge
I also don't like the fact that police agencies are going too para-military and not a community policing agency as in days past.
I was driving to work one day as a teenager, my first job, and my old '68 GMC stalled at a traffic light and I couldn't get it to start. I was just getting out to try and push it to the side when an officer showed up and got me going again. I had never been so glad to see a cop in all my life! Today if I had car trouble, I think a policeman would be one of the last people I would want to see because the feeling of trust just isn't there anymore.

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
it's all money and equipment trickling down from the "war on terror" funds. That and the mindset has changed. Domestic terrorism is a thing now. All civilians are thought of as a potential enemy instead of what needs protected.
What really grinds my gears is they always say "black man". Office shot an unarmed black man. No, he shot an unarmed man. Damn media is trying to divide us, and everyone just falls in line. It's sad
That particular line of identifying white and black also makes my feathers fluff, Malakai. I've said before, I really don't care if someone's purple with pink polka dots....a soul is a soul regardless of what body it's residing in.

Reactions: sal and Seahunter
Yes, the profession has changed greatly over the years. It used to be that it was extremely difficult to make it through the hiring process, and only the best of the best were chosen. Now, a lot of qualified people don't want to do the job any longer, so the pool is not as good as it used to be. I also don't like the fact that police agencies are going too para-military and not a community policing agency as in days past.
Well put, Roy. Community policing.....the key to it all. What happened to Protect and Serve?

Reactions: surge