Something hit Jupiter

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Astronomers capture video of a large 'unknown' object crashing into Jupiter | Ancient Code

5fc5435f1da6c084c7eccaa6f8b0844a.jpg

If this ‘sighting’ is confirmed by space agencies around the world, it would be one of only a few recorded impacts on Jupiter in history.

So far, there are extremely little details about the impact, what we know so far is that there are several videos that have been posted online showing a ‘celestial body’ impacting the Gas Giant. Astronomers were able to observe a rapid brightening on the limb of Jupiter which is believed to have been caused by the impact.

In a post written on Reddit, astronomer John McKeon wrote: “Exact time was 00:18:45 UT [on March 17]. If anyone was shooting Jupiter at that time, I recommend looking back through your videos.”

From what the videos show, it was large and bright, and a significant burst shooting into space was recorded as the celestial object smashed into the upper cloud layer of the planet. According to astronomers, this indicates some sort of impact into the planet.

Gerrit Kernbauer, another astronomer wrote on YouTube: “Thinking back to Shoemaker-Levy 9, my only explanation for this is an asteroid or comet that enters Jupiter’s [sic] high atmosphere and burned up/explode very fast.”

What is seen in the video as merely a couple of pixels showing up is, in fact, an unusually large explosion on Jupiter. According to Phil Plait from Bad Astronomer, it’s very likely that the celestial body that impacted Jupiter was a smaller-sized comet or asteroid which managed to release a huge amount of energy by the speed of the collision.
-------------------------------------------------------

And no one saw this incoming....

How exciting to see. I like Phil Plaits explanation

Reactions: Debi