Soldiers convinced base haunted

There are lots of stories of hauntings on military bases the world over. I know there are a number of haunted airbases in the UK, including the sites of former WWII US air bases in East Anglia. I got to visit a number of them, including what's left of the base (Thorpe Abbots) my late father-in-law flew out in WWII.

The stories coming from military and law enforcement are always interesting as these are people who are trained to log and report cold hard facts.

In Afghanistan there is a region called the Helmand Province that is basically just a bunch of hills and bushes but also a strategic bunch of hills and bushes. Military forces have been fighting in that area for decades, most recently US and British forces held the area but before that it was Taliban forces preceded by Russian military preceded by Mujahedeen and I'm sure many people before then. I know that recent US and British forces would send small teams out to a particular hill for 6-8 weeks at a time who had weird experiences which had to be reported. Some was mundane such as they could setup sandbags for protection but not dig too deep as there were human remains and other artifacts in the sand. Also, apparently many soldiers had terrible nightmares and felt ill while at the location. Others reported hearing footsteps and whispers or seeing shadowy figures running around which didn't show up on either nightvision or thermal imaging.

More seriously were reports of static coming over the radio with voices speaking in foreign languages, such as Russian. Modern military radios are encrypted and utilize frequency hopping technology which means it's impossible to get radio interference from another source unless that source has the exact same frequency pattern and decryption codes. There was also reports of the sounds of gunfire, yelling and explosions but with no obvious source. So the soldiers would wake up to gunfire but not see where it was coming from and could find no trace of a firefight afterwards such as bullet holes, spent casings or even footprints in the sand.

I'm sure these type of incidents are most likely filed away as being caused by "Battle Fatigue" or "Shell Shock" which are the euphemisms for PTSD.

There are lots of stories of hauntings on military bases the world over.
It could be the soldiers are picking up on things paranormal because their senses are heightened and on edge.

Reactions: Paintman
That's why I'm going to pass on visiting Gettysburg. God only knows what you could get stuck to you there.
Several years ago my work had arranged for our office Christmas party to take place at the Nature and Science Museum. There was a special Titanic exhibit at the time which had personal and other items recovered from the wreckage on display, including pieces of the hull and other ship parts. Everyone else was excited but For me it was a hard pass. There's definitely energies attached to those items!

Reactions: Paintman
The stories coming from military and law enforcement are always interesting as these are people who are trained to log and report cold hard facts.

In Afghanistan there is a region called the Helmand Province that is basically just a bunch of hills and bushes but also a strategic bunch of hills and bushes. Military forces have been fighting in that area for decades, most recently US and British forces held the area but before that it was Taliban forces preceded by Russian military preceded by Mujahedeen and I'm sure many people before then. I know that recent US and British forces would send small teams out to a particular hill for 6-8 weeks at a time who had weird experiences which had to be reported. Some was mundane such as they could setup sandbags for protection but not dig too deep as there were human remains and other artifacts in the sand. Also, apparently many soldiers had terrible nightmares and felt ill while at the location. Others reported hearing footsteps and whispers or seeing shadowy figures running around which didn't show up on either nightvision or thermal imaging.

More seriously were reports of static coming over the radio with voices speaking in foreign languages, such as Russian. Modern military radios are encrypted and utilize frequency hopping technology which means it's impossible to get radio interference from another source unless that source has the exact same frequency pattern and decryption codes. There was also reports of the sounds of gunfire, yelling and explosions but with no obvious source. So the soldiers would wake up to gunfire but not see where it was coming from and could find no trace of a firefight afterwards such as bullet holes, spent casings or even footprints in the sand.

I'm sure these type of incidents are most likely filed away as being caused by "Battle Fatigue" or "Shell Shock" which are the euphemisms for PTSD.
That is a fascinating story, Steve. I believe the soldiers.