Sniff...

I love the smell of salt air on the coast. and when returning to savannah the smell of the paper mills hits and its at that moment i feel "home". a strong putrid smell that soon becomes part of the environment and is easily dismissed by living there, but when away for a while it hits hard and brings back tons of memories.
When I was stationed at Fort Gordon I visited Savanah once. I liked that town, more interesting than Augusta. I don't remember the smell of paper mills there but I remember them in Franklin, VA when I lived there. I could never get used to it.

When I was stationed at Fort Gordon I visited Savanah once. I liked that town, more interesting than Augusta. I don't remember the smell of paper mills there but I remember them in Franklin, VA when I lived there. I could never get used to it.
Mrs Duke's grandmother lived in the middle of nowhere SW of Newport News. There was a paper mill somewhere near there that produced a stench that was nauseating. That smell, combined with the summer humidity, was overwhelming. I hated visiting.

Mrs Duke's grandmother lived in the middle of nowhere SW of Newport News. There was a paper mill somewhere near there that produced a stench that was nauseating. That smell, combined with the summer humidity, was overwhelming. I hated visiting.
for me, what is worse than the smell of coastal paper mills is the taste of the water, even in soda's and locally bottled waters. the hint of sulfur is one thing i can no longer get used to.......

downtown savannah, riverside, only gets a hint every so often, in the evenings or early mornings usually, south side is stronger and then down the intercoastal waterways and along the islands. driving down 95 between savannah and brunswick is the worst

Yep that's where I lived, Franklin, Va. Everyone worked for the papermill and when it closed the town shrunk. And the humidity was terrible, never saw a sunny day in a year and a half. You could not hang your clothes on a clothesline to dry because even if they finally got dry, they would stink of the paper mill. I was so glad to get back to the desert.

Whiting Indiana is a little industrial city outside of Chicago.
The Lever Brothers plant made soap there and it smelled kind of nice.
Maiso made high fructose corn syrup. It was like a sickeningly sweet burn. Horrible. Inland Steel and the Amoco refinery smelled like a flower garden compared to it.

There are so many! I agree with a lot of the ones people have already mentioned. I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting but... freshly ground coffee, the smell of Autumn, vanilla, horses, peppermint, bonfire smoke, the smell of a match just as it's lit, gunpowder, creosote, windolene cream glass cleaner (the original stuff from the 70s), turps, surgical spirit...and the smell of onions frying.

290189502_3144283365831349_431608445461380342_n.jpg

• Big Grin
Reactions: Selectric