Sniff...

Cape May ?
No, Long Branch New Jersey. We recently went for a visit, and it saddened me to see that the old boardwalk had burned down awhile back and now it was all prettified and gentrified beyond recognition. But there was still that magic in the air, the knowledge that the wealth of ocean was there for the enjoying.

Reactions: Paulm and Paintman
the smells at the fair or the zoo throw me back to my childhood for a moment,... a certain perfume will remind me of the teen years,...the locker room smell at the gym sometimes make me think of high school practices...pine-sol and diesel fuel reminds me strongly of a time later in my adult life......smells play a big part in memories, smells and music.

Pepsi fizzy and acidic whiff before you drink brings back my first foray away from the farm where soda was forbidden unless one was vomiting, and then it was flat.

Turkey ranch dust brings back that first climb up a hill & the urge to crawl or climb the nearest mountain on the horizon now if only with a truck seated in my husbands pickup truck.

Driving in fall the musty cold smell of
Grape vineyard after a rain ruins unharvested cotton molding unharvested grapes before they are sold to brandy instead of for allied wine brings memory of ruined coat to me and long arms hands hanging down & a season of sweaters all winter

Paper towels out a Georgia Pacific dispenser wet with water from the sink , bring back a memory of first grade girls dabbing foreheads with wet paper towels after lunch six years before the elementary school surrounded by almonds and alfalfa fields bought its first air conditioning & no one knew you didnt play in the sun or sit still and sums when it was 105. I still get a can do attitude try again it ll be ok attitude every time I pick up a (now recycled) paper towel by the sink and it hits water before mopping up coffee spill. (I used to do cloth kitchen towels until the wells went dry in nearby Porterville and east between Farmersville and here water trucks with weekly fees and weekly routes are a common sight, now kitchen wash cloths are an avoidable daily laundry drain on the sinking ag water table surrounding my south valley town -- now first year out of drought in ? Years)
Noting the first grader at my gold wood pine table who shared math ciphers taught me my numbers while dabbing her forehead with a wet paper towel brings me a memory of a safe community and sharing safe in a human space , so what if it was warm air in a turn in the fan as it turned by, and the smell of a paper towel when its getting wet in water that first dip that first whiff brings it all back: caring safety sharing in rigors of wondering finding answers being of support support being safe solidly seated leaning on the golden pine table we shared together mopping our little faces with wet paper towels pressed back our touseled curly ungathered long hair as we smiled quietly sharing math problems and answers patting our heads with wet paper towels; I clean my sink I pat my wet hands together wrapped around by another paper towel, a new one (its recycled) just like me it can do anything I aim to clean and I can do anything : just for a moment when it gets wet and I smell : paper towel. wow/ I am recycled to I remember when I was in a seat safe and caring cared for / I bring that moment to the present & the gift is : a moment of safety grounded in the simple scent a sniff whif of wet paper towel/ hand gesture simple motion cleaning up again. Safe then safe now in a really mysterious way One moment becomes this moment now somehow From a sniff; just a whiff

Last edited: