Sniff...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
64595026_2801762293199723_3678192786655412224_n (Small).jpg

Yes.
Sometimes I'll be walking along and on a wet day and the smell of wet fallen leaves and earth will remind me of a place I walked through as a kid. Or the smell of the sea will bring back memories, or the air a little way from the sea. A wet dog, orange peel, a damp burning down fire when it starts raining... Smells trigger memories for me at times.
The best one ever was last autumn when I stayed up talking to my mum about my really really early memories.
Out of nowhere she asked me, "Do you remember the smell at St. Joseph's?"
That was my younger brother's nursery school, from when he was three and I was six. It was a Catholic place with nuns.
I immediately said, "Yes! What was that?"*
We both thought about it and were both casting our minds back remembering, not the events or the sights or even the way the light fell at a certain point or sounds, but a single smell from thirty six years ago. It was so strange, but also seemed almost normal; Of course! Why wouldn't we both remember one smell from when I was six and think we could figure out what it was thirty five years later? Everybody does that! And I could smell it as if I was there!
Then she said, "Mulligatawny. Mulligatawny soup!"
And you know what? She was right! I placed the smell too! We never had that soup back then, but about nine years later we had a year where we went fell in love with it for a while, and I remembered the smell from then too and it matched! She was definitely right.
Then I realised just how insane it all was! We just identified a random smell from from 1981, when I was six from another smell from the 90s in the 21st century!

So great topic! I'm interested to see if anyone else has smell memory.

*Despite the fact that I was six at the time and was forty-one then, she didn't need to explain which smell. She just asked about the smell and I knew what we were talking about.

Last edited:
Red wine.As a kid of about 12 I had an Italian mate who's dad would make this,my mate used to pinch some and we'd go to the park to get sloshed.To this day the smell of red wine takes me back to my misspent youth and the sick aftermath lol.

Candy cigs
I can smell them now! Me too! It reminded me first of the sticks themselves, then the Batman picture on the front at one point, a segment from an old TV show, an old anti-smoking campaign aimed at kids featuring Superman and more... A flood of memories! Thanks!
:)