Smallest town...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
WHAT IS DIFFERENT IN A SMALL TOWN VERSUS THE CITY?
WHICH DO YOU PREFER?
WHAT DO YOU RECALL OF YOUR SMALL TOWN EXPERIENCES?
78393873_2612474848831169_6134577380301209600_n (Small).png

I grew up in Sydney but have spent more than half of my life in the country.The city is noisey, polluted and has dangers from gangs,traffic and flu's.Country towns are nosey,rumour ridden and boring,the saying"small town,big hell" rings true.I've always tried to live in the shadows of the city and out of town in the country.I've never fit in anywhere really and I'm getting worse with age,I sort of live in my own World lol.The smallest town I've lived in was around 150 people,what a nightmare.

I grew up in a little town...which has grown over the years but at one point was small. I remember at Christmas, there was a Santa Headquarters, and right next to it were the live Reindeer! Right "downtown"! lol

The smallest town I've lived in had the bank lady close up when someone needed a library book next door. She would open the library while a sign on the bank said, "Be back after they find a book". I've also had the experience in that town of the locals closing up shop for funerals and actually seen a sign of "Gone fishng...back tomorrow!" It was a bit like Mayberry there for awhile. That was years ago, but I was kinda shocked when I first saw how things worked in that town! lol

I have lived in small towns all my life, never in a downtown big city. Big cities with lots of people make me nervous or claustrophobic. I can't breathe. I can see some of the benefits of a big city, so I live close enough to a big city to enjoy both small town life and big city benefits.

ive lived in a couple small towns and a few medium and large sized cities. much prefer the small town atmosphere to the coldness of a metropolitan area. its nice to know that sometimes things just come to a stop or close down for special occasions.

I love the country. I don’t even want to be in a town period. I have lived in a small town area for most of my life but I would prefer being further isolated. A 30 min drive into town would be great. Forget the city. I only go when forced.

Reactions: Debi
As military family, we moved a few times in my childhood. But our long term home base was San Diego, CA. Hardly a small town.

One of our deployments was to a tiny nuclear submarine base in Nova Scotia. It was isolated and not much more than an ice and snow covered rock peninsula.

In the 70s, we lived for two years on southern most island of Japan - Okinawa. We lived off base in a small (essentially suburban) Japanese town called Awase. As I recall, it’s only non-residential structures were the US military’s golf course, two very small grocery stores (about the size of a 7/11), and a brothel. We were fortunate enough to live on the tiny road with both of the grocery stores and directly across the road from the brothel. We had only three TV stations and no telephone.

In 2003, my GF and I moved to little college town of 24,000 residents (at the time we moved here) in Central Florida.

Though I really like the convenience and entertainment value of a big city, I have learned to really enjoy the suburban life we have now.