Small Town Radio Vanishing

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
America's rural radio stations are vanishing – and taking the country's soul with them
Always was a fan of local radio. Especially small town and college radio. There is a music radio station that has a fantastic format. They will play all types of music as long as it's really good. Only place I know where you can hear Dean Martin and Prince back-to-back.:)
On the weekend they have guest disc jockeys that are each given 2 hours. It's fun and it expands my horizons.

Reactions: Debi
America's rural radio stations are vanishing – and taking the country's soul with them
Always was a fan of local radio. Especially small town and college radio. There is a music radio station that has a fantastic format. They will play all types of music as long as it's really good. Only place I know where you can hear Dean Martin and Prince back-to-back.:)
On the weekend they have guest disc jockeys that are each given 2 hours. It's fun and it expands my horizons.
I still listen in to WOWO out of Fort Wayne. Always enjoy the farm reports in the morning, and the weekend local gardners, etc., with shows. They always announce from "right inside the famous fire excape", and many have been with the format for years.

Reactions: Paintman

From 2005-2008, I spent a great deal of time in the border town of Del Rio, TX. Besides stations from San Antonio (160 miles away) and those in Mexico, the only other audible radio station was a low power (1000 watts) AM station in Del Rio that billed itself as "The Mighty 1490." It had the most eclectic play list I've ever heard....rock, gospel, country, Mexican, classical, etc., all one after another. They also had a number of local interest/live shows like tradio, church festivals, high school sports, even heard them do a live remote from the grand opening of a new laundromat. I think the entire staff was like six people full time, plus some folks who did public service programs.

Reactions: Paintman
From 2005-2008, I spent a great deal of time in the border town of Del Rio, TX. Besides stations from San Antonio (160 miles away) and those in Mexico, the only other audible radio station was a low power (1000 watts) AM station in Del Rio that billed itself as "The Mighty 1490." It had the most eclectic play list I've ever heard....rock, gospel, country, Mexican, classical, etc., all one after another. They also had a number of local interest/live shows like tradio, church festivals, high school sports, even heard them do a live remote from the grand opening of a new laundromat. I think the entire staff was like six people full time, plus some folks who did public service programs.
yes, when I would work on location jobs around the south I would hear the most amazing radio. Shame it's being phased out

Reactions: Paintman and Debi