Small Town Appeal

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
In your travels, have you ever been to a small town that made a serious impression on you? Could have been good or bad, based on the town itself or its people, something that happened while you were there, etc. Tell us about that town.

Frankenmuth Michigan. It’s Christmas all year round and the food is good. It is a German inspired town also. It used to be more authentic and lovely. However the town has become a destination and is over run by tourists. They now have several hotels right on the Main Street which has changed the feel of the once old German town.

West, Texas is a small town about 25 miles north of Waco along US Interstate 35. I was a frequent visitor for a few years back in the mid 1990s. The town was founded by Czechs back in the 1800s, and it was common to still hear older folks speaking Czech and seeing store signs in Cyrillic characters. There was a Czech bakery that was to die for, and shops that sold Czech arts and crafts. I bought a few Eastern Orthodox Easter eggs that were really beautiful.

Sadly, back in 2013 a good chuck of the town was obliterated when a fertilizer plant exploded. The blast was massive, it's amazing less than 20 people died.

West, Texas is a small town about 25 miles north of Waco along US Interstate 35. I was a frequent visitor for a few years back in the mid 1990s. The town was founded by Czechs back in the 1800s, and it was common to still hear older folks speaking Czech and seeing store signs in Cyrillic characters. There was a Czech bakery that was to die for, and shops that sold Czech arts and crafts. I bought a few Eastern Orthodox Easter eggs that were really beautiful.

Sadly, back in 2013 a good chuck of the town was obliterated when a fertilizer plant exploded. The blast was massive, it's amazing less than 20 people died.
I remember that explosion, a terrible event. I love to try foods from other cultures.

I haven't been there in 40 years, but Sisters, OR was a small town that I could have easily set down roots in. Back then at least.

Will probably be retiring to rural Utah when I pull the trigger in a few more years.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
My hometown has that feel. Some of our first paved roads were brick and we still have them to this day. Old Town. Most of the original buildings still stand in a perfect state of preservation with very few modern ones among them. Perfect place for a stroll on a Friday night. And one such building that now houses a restaurant has an interesting history. It was originally built as a livery during the Civil War and and since then, it's housed a buggy and vehicle shop that also sold fuel in the early 20's and later saw use as a hardware store from the mid 40's to 70's.

Now, it operates under the name '303 Jefferson' and it's straight up down home, Southern cooking and it's a very popular eatery.

Reactions: Paulm and Debi