Slip Slidin' Away....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Driving in bad weather (or bad roads) of any kind can have your heart skipping a beat!
Rain, tornadoes, fog, sleet, snow, ice, potholes?

What has been your scariest weather related driving experience?

Driving in bad weather (or bad roads) of any kind can have your heart skipping a beat!
Rain, tornadoes, sleet, snow, ice, potholes?

What has been your scariest weather related driving experience
For some reason I wasn't scared, definitely had my adrenaline going.
Driving a tiny Ford Festiva (Best car I ever had btw :) )
Side road driving about 10 - 15 mph when the car decided to spin out on it's own. I did all the correct things I was trained to do, still kept spinning lol. Started to slide toward a telephone pole while spinning.
Thankfully I missed the pole by inches and rested safely on the side of the road.

My scariest drive came on I-65 in a really bad fog near Lafayette. This area is like a magnet for any and all bad weather. The fog had gotten so thick I literally could not see trucks that I knew were in front of me. Traffic had slowed and I soon passed semi's that had pulled to the side, but I was afraid if I pulled over another semi might hit me trying to pull over as well. I knew I was coming up on an exit....if I could just see the dang sign! Conditions were THAT bad. I almost ran into the back of another semi doing about 10 mph, and followed his tail lights as best I could. When I saw him indicate a turn to the right, I was on it with him! Followed him right into a truck stop where we both got out of our vehicles. It's the one time I had no problem hugging a truck driver I didn't know!

Took about an hour for that to lift and we heard about wrecks all up and down that corridor.

I was caught in a white out south of Detroit on I-75. Thankfully it was only a short lived snow squall, but for about 20 minutes it was like driving in a giant cotton ball.

I had a spin out happen, too. I was driving on 395 when I hit a patch of ice and it sent my car into a spin. It happened so quickly that I found myself on the wrong side of the road facing traffic. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of it, and a delivery truck pulled over. The two drivers helped me; one directed traffic while the other helped me to get turned around and back on the road. I swear they looked like angels to me!

First one was Christmas night heading over a girl's house when i hit black ice and ended up crunched in the woods and head on into a tree. The story i mentioned about picking up a guy and getting parts for car...that's why lol. The second was driving my work van to a job site and the van spun around on ice and i slid backwards down the road...passing a few other contractors pointing and laughing at us until the truck finally stopped against a tree at very low speed. The third was Christmas Eve with my family driving back from my grandmom's (dad's side) and got smashed from behind and sent us almost into a ditch. The guy never stopped so cops had a road block for him and yanked him into the flooded road by gunpoint. Too extreme? No Way. He came close to wiping out my father, my mom, sister, grandmom (mom's side) and me

Rain, tornadoes, fog, sleet, snow, ice, potholes?

What has been your scariest weather related driving experience?

In a Morris Minor driven by a friend's mum as a teenager on the way to fencing practice. It skidded on ice and span round and round, while sliding all the way over a roundabout, in traffic, before she regained control facing the right way and carried on. You can't beat being out of control in a car that small! And so much for the 'women drivers' myth, eh?

Living in Michigan I have experienced a lot of slip sliding and getting stuck in the snow. I am a super slow driver in the bad weather. I am that driver that drives others crazy, I know. I have a fear of the ice. I have been lucky enough not to have had a major issue with an accident. I have white knuckled it many times in white out conditions though.

I was in an accident that I actually have no memories of. It wasn't until I first visited a chiropractor, and he told me that I have whiplash syndrome. I still had no inkling. My younger sister told me that it had happened when my oldest brother was driving us all to summer school, and that the car had spun around several times. No one was badly hurt, but I still can't remember it.