Site older than the pyramids found

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
A student found an ancient Canadian village that’s 10,000 years older than the Pyramids

A student found an ancient Canadian village that’s 10,000 years older than the Pyramids

For hundreds — perhaps thousands — of years, generations of the Heiltsuk Nation, an indigenous group in British Columbia, have passed down the oral histories of where they came from. The nation claims that its ancestors fled for survival to a coastal area in Canada that never froze during the Ice Age.

A new excavation on Triquet Island, on British Columbia's Central Coast, has now backed up that claim, according to local news outlet CBC.

Archaeologist Alisha Gauvreau, a doctoral student from the University of Victoria and a scholar with the research institute Hakai, led a team that excavated the site in late 2016. They discovered several artifacts from what appears to be an ancient village, including carved wooden tools and bits of charcoal, in a thin horizontal layer of soil, called paleosol.

The team sent the charcoal flakes to a lab for carbon dating and found that the pieces date back between 13,613 to 14,086 years ago, thousands of years before Egypt built its pyramids.

The artifacts are some of the oldest found in North America. In 1977, Washington State University archaeologists excavated a spear tip and mastodon rib bone (an extinct species related to elephants) near Washington’s Olympic Peninsula. After CT scans in 2011, the fossils pushed estimates of the earliest human habitation on the West Coast back by 800 years (to about 13,800 years before present day).

The latest discovery will help archaeologists understand with more detail how more North American civilizations like the Heiltsuk Nation began. One popular theory is that the first native North Americans ventured from Asia over an ice-free, Alaskan land bridge to what is now western and central Canada during the Ice Age.

This story assumes that carbon-14 dating is at least moderately reliable, and that the pyramids at Giza are only about 4500-5000 years old. I think archaeologists are wrong on both counts. Carbon-14 dating has been repeatedly shown to be wildly inaccurate, and there is compelling evidence to suggest that the pyramids are far older than we have imagined.

This story assumes that carbon-14 dating is at least moderately reliable, and that the pyramids at Giza are only about 4500-5000 years old. I think archaeologists are wrong on both counts. Carbon-14 dating has been repeatedly shown to be wildly inaccurate, and there is compelling evidence to suggest that the pyramids are far older than we have imagined.
We'll have to ask T-Bob about that one, Voodoo. He's an archaeologist and can maybe shine a bit more light on that one for us.

Reactions: voodoo_child
The dates on this site are only a few hundred years earlier than the oldest Clovis Period sites. Other sites have recently been found with similar pre-Clovis dates........I have no problen with C-14 dating, as it has been calibrated using dendrochronological (tree ring dating) samples from wood going back some 12,000 years. More recenly, older dates have been calibrated using carbon samples from cores demostrating undisturbed varves from a Japanese lake. I have no reason to believe that the Great Pyramid and Sphinx are from any other time than the Fourth Dynasty. I'm not an expert on Egyptian history or prehistory, and would love to see evidence showing something different.

The title of this article "Site older than the pyramids found" is misleading. It suggests that sites older than the pyramids are rare or non-existant in the Americas. Many are older, and are quite common. It's not unusual to pick up stone tools that date to about 13,300 years ago over most of North and South America. They are readily identifable by the technology from which they were produced. Older sites exist, as has been demonstrated, but they are not as easy to identify without in situ finds, stratographic information or radiometric dates. Because of a lack of typological data, and the fact that most artifacts are surface finds, and can't be dated except through comparisons with known stone technologies, many sites likely go unnoticed. Anyone who has seriously studied Late Pleistocene tools from the Americas and from Wesern Europe (Solutrean) can clearly see that they are closely related. However, there is little archaeological evidence to prove this relationship, other than the unique way in which these tools were manufactured. Hands-on experience is the only way to compare lithics. Resemblances can be seen in photos and drawings from books, and corroborated with measurements. But, without direct examination of these tools, comparions are evasive.

Epi-Levallois technology can be seen in North America. Does that mean Neandethals once roamed this continent?....... I don't know..........But, their technology is definately here. Some of my archaeologist friends think so. But, Neanderthal technology is here, without question. I don't know of a better explanation.

I have examined many of the tools from this site:
Capps: A Levallois-like Prepared Core Technology in the Southeastern United States

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. Much of this is over my head. What I take away is that there's evidence of people living in North America before 13000 years ago?