Sir Paul turns 80

At 8 o'clock on February 9th 1964, America tuned in to CBS and The Ed Sullivan Show. But this night was different. 73 million people gathered in front their TV sets to see The Beatles' first live performance on U.S. soil.

I had just turned 11. I remember my grandfather sitting there watching with me and looking confused! lol "That's music?" Turns out it was, Gramps.

I saw that first Ed Sullivan Show and those that followed. I was stunned. I immediately set about to form my own rock band and within a few weeks we were working gigs. Continued all through high school and a few years beyond until the Viet Nam War draft broke up the group. We even played The Fillmore once.

Last edited:
I saw that first Ed Sullivan Show and those that followed. I was stunned. I immediately set about to form my own rock band and within a few weeks were we working gigs. Continued all through high school and a few years beyond until the Viet Nam War draft broke up the group. We even played The Fillmore once.
That's really cool to know about you, Crux! I think so many young guys back then went running for guitars and drums after watching them it created a lot of new bands. And we young girls all loved the guys in a band.

Reactions: crux and Selectric