Shroud of Turin Updates

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-8_11-54-19.jpeg

A long-standing debate surrounding the mysterious Shroud of Turin has been reignited thanks to claims made by a French coin expert.

For the last forty years, researchers have been baffled by the puzzling features found over the 'eyes' of the Shroud which do not seem to conform with the human anatomy.

Some scholars proposed that they came from low-value Roman coins, while others disagreed with those assertions.

However, thanks to advanced imaging technology, a coin expert in France believes that he has solved the mystery and that his findings reveal the true age of the revered Shroud.

Agostino Sferrazza told a French newspaper that scans showed previously unseen details from the coins, specifically a sacrificial cup and a religious staff as well as the letters 'YKAI.'

The numismatist believes that those characters are part of the Greek spelling for Emperor Tiberius, who reigned from 14 AD to 37 AD and that the symbols are also in keeping with currency from that time period.

As such, Sferrazza concluded that the coins, and therefore the Shroud itself, came from around the era when Jesus would have been crucified.

Skeptics of the 'coin theory' contend that the entire pursuit is merely wishful thinking on the part of those hoping to confirm that the Shroud is the authentic burial cloth of Jesus Christ.

While it remains to be seen whether Sferrazza's research can be confirmed by other experts, his work is a fine example of how some ancient mysteries may still hold some clues waiting to be uncovered by modern technology.

Source: Aleteia

Reactions: Seahunter
I heard a British BBC documentarian on Relevant Radio a few weeks ago. He contends that the 1980's carbon dating testing that concluded that the shroud came from the 15th Century is seriously flawed. The technology at the time required a sample of the cloth the size of a handkerchief. (Not happening.) So, they used a clipping the size of a fingernail, from a repaired edge. Also, no control cloth from the 15th century was tested.
Upshot, This is not science, and there were political and financial reasons to go ahead with what otherwise would be a pointless test.
So, the Brit. said it is not debunked thru carbon dating. He also said the latest technology is very accurate, but again, it is how it's used.
I'm gonna poke around and try to find some links.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I believe the nature of the shroud itself proves its authenticity. There is no paint on it, the image is an imprint of unknown origin. It is a negative image too. I for one am a believer.

For the last forty years, researchers have been baffled by the puzzling features found over the 'eyes' of the Shroud which do not seem to conform with the human anatomy.

Some scholars proposed that they came from low-value Roman coins, while others disagreed with those assertions.
I heard another scientist on Monday do a talk about the coins over the eyes. He spoke highly of the scientists w/ the coin explanation, and respected them. However, he disagreed w/ their conclusions because the imaging machine can be manipulated in terms of the depth of the image, and how much to filter out or leave in. (He uses the same technology, and was hands on the Shroud as well.)
But he also said something that made even more sense. Putting coins on the eyes was a Pagan death ritual. Devout Jews would have never, and did never, do that. The Jewish death rituals are too specific and done by 'The Book.' He also believes the Shroud to be authentic, and has been investigating it thru imaging since 1978. It was sad when he said he is running out of time, and may never be able to prove it. Plus the Church in Turin is very skeptical of having new testing done after being bamboozled by shoddy scientists in the 1980's when it was called a medieval forgery.

I agree with Lynne that the fact that they can't figure out how the image came to be on the shroud, and that it is a negative image, is a strong case for its authenticity. The tests have been flawed. The sample Paint was talking about, taken from a later repair, would of course be an inaccurate date for the shroud itself. I'd like to think it is authentic, and hope one day they can prove it beyond doubt.

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
I agree with Lynne that the fact that they can't figure out how the image came to be on the shroud, and that it is a negative image, is a strong case for its authenticity. The tests have been flawed. The sample Paint was talking about, taken from a later repair, would of course be an inaccurate date for the shroud itself. I'd like to think it is authentic, and hope one day they can prove it beyond doubt.
Just like the Ark. some say they've seen it and then the ice covers it up. I think god wants us to have faith not proof. So I think believers get glimpses of things to boost our faith. Non believers will never be satisfied. I'm glad I'm on the faith side.

Good point. Sometimes I forget this and want proof for everything when we are meant to have faith. Sometimes being too analytical is not a good thing!
Can't blame a guy for trying. God gave us minds and will. I figure we do our best and hold on to our faith and leave the rest to god. Proof would make it easier to go through this life for sure.

Turin Shroud Holographic Images Reveal The Words 'The Lamb' Written On A Solid Object

upload_2017-7-18_12-30-33.jpeg

'Tortured' Blood Found on Shroud?

A remarkable new study looking at the markings on the controversial Shroud of Turin may shed new light on their origin.

Researchers in Italy say that an examination of the Shroud's fibers revealed that they contain 'nanoparticles' which seem to strengthen the case that the cloth was once wrapped around a victim of torture.

According to their study, these tiny particles feature biological elements that sport chemical signatures, specifically creatinine and ferritin, indicative of someone who has suffered repeated traumas rather than having come from a healthy human being.

The very presence of blood traces on the Shroud strongly challenges the contention of skeptics that the visage seen on the cloth is merely a painting.

This is because these precise nanoparticles can only be spotted using advanced electron microscope technology available in the modern age.

Therefore, it would stand to reason that the presence of the particles on the Shroud is beyond both the ability and imagination of a presumptive hoaxer from centuries ago.

Nonetheless, one would assume that the results of the study will be closely scrutinized by doubtful observers who insist that the cloth is more artwork than artifact.

And, of course, it should be stressed that even if the conclusions surrounding the nanoparticles are correct and they did come from the blood of someone who died an extreme death, the identity of that person cannot be definitely shown to be Jesus Christ.

Unfortunately, proving such a thing may be beyond the capabilities of any technology now or ever and so that aspect of the case will almost certainly be debated long into the future.

Source: Catholic News Agency