Shopping

ACK! No donuts??

I read earlier that it's more than just products. It's ingredients, containers, bottles, packaging in general. One meat processor had no styrofoam trays to put the meat he had IN. And it's required it be in one.

At the moment, I can only get Coke Zero in cans due to a bottle shortage. Husband is not happy.
Last week Mrs Duke wanted me to get bananas and a jalapeno pepper at Kroger's. They didn't have any of the self-service plastics baggies with twist ties one uses to bag produce for check-out. I asked one of the produce stockers where they were, he said the hadn't had them in a couple weeks and didn't expect to get any in the foreseeable future.

Last week Mrs Duke wanted me to get bananas and a jalapeno pepper at Kroger's. They didn't have any of the self-service plastics baggies with twist ties one uses to bag produce for check-out. I asked one of the produce stockers where they were, he said the hadn't had them in a couple weeks and didn't expect to get any in the foreseeable future.
That's what I'm seeing and hearing. I am holding my breath to see what substitutes pop up tomorrow. Just because I ordered something, and it shows in stock tonight, means nothing...lol

Reactions: Paulm and Duke
I buy groceries at the store because it's fairly convenient. The store is about halfway between the house and the school so I can easily get whatever groceries I need for dinner or the next day when picking up the kids.

I have ordered some clothes online but prefer to get them myself in the store. I recently had to buy socks and it was a stressful experience. It may sound silly but being in the military I learned the importance of socks and taking care of your feet. So not only am I a bit pick on socks but I also try to buy the exact same kind every time so that I never have to worry about matching them. Having all matching socks is great for getting dressed in the morning but it requires a bit more work when buying. I need to pickup every package of socks and examine them for shape, thickness, cuff pattern, toe seam, ect. A few months ago the stores started running short on socks, so I couldn't find the right kind and I reluctantly turned to Amazon. No exaggeration, I spent a full week looking at socks and reading reviews before finding some that sounded right. Up until they arrived I was worried that I'd not be able to get my old socks again and would have to completely replace them all with this new brand. Fortunately it worked out and my feet are happy.
I'm having the opposite problem. I once was as you are but have recently taken to buying different kinds of socks. (Life has been a bit dull.) I often wear mismatched socks these days and revel in the devil may care freedom of it, but... all the socks which don't match the most common type have vanished! Even the mustard coloured socks I bought for the hell of it!
I feel this is an important clue to the ongoing negasockdemic this forum faces and the clue is this:
THEY may be stealing socks which may cause disruption to the natural order. Sometimes they send warnings. While searching for one mustard sock to wear with a black one with green highlights I found my ex-girlfriend's knee high rainbow sock, even though we broke up years ago. It's a message from the Sock Police: Shape up. You wear mustard socks or one black sock with red flashes and one blue with turquoise toes and it's a slippery slope to dressing like Rainbow Brite and neither of us wants that.

Scary stuff, but at least it's easier to clean up than a horses head.

Last edited:
This forum has the biggest problem with socks.
Bizarro+10-27-19+WEB.jpg

I recently bought my usual 35 lb bag of birdseed. I was shocked to find it was 90 percent corn and the rest was millet with a sprinkling of sunflower seed. It would have been cheeper to buy a bag of cracked corn. I’m guessing it has to do with the supply problem. The birds are quite annoyed.

• Sad
Reactions: Paintman and Benway
I recently bought my usual 35 lb bag of birdseed. I was shocked to find it was 90 percent corn and the rest was millet with a sprinkling of sunflower seed. It would have been cheeper to buy a bag of cracked corn. I’m guessing it has to do with the supply problem. The birds are quite annoyed.
My friend owns a feed store. She is having one heck of a time getting in supplies. And if you want sunflower seeds right now you might want to take out a bank loan.

My friend owns a feed store. She is having one heck of a time getting in supplies. And if you want sunflower seeds right now you might want to take out a bank loan.
Well, the birds will have to make sacrifices too.

Reactions: Debi