Shopping

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
40458297_2323509161044469_7840053080442798080_n (Small).jpg

SEARS IS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. DO YOU REMEMBER THE SEARS WISH BOOK AT CHRISTMAS? HOW DO YOU SHOP NOW? HOW OFTEN DO YOU GO TO A BRICK AND MORTAR STORE FOR SOMETHING?​

Absolutely remember Sears catalogs - delivery of the catalog was kind of the official start of the Christmas season for me as a kid.

I try to shop brick and mortar stores as very often as possible. I also try to greet their employees and thank them for their service too. I don’t want any air of indifference to create an incorrect perception that their efforts and their jobs don’t mean anything to me nor that their efforts are irrelevant to their store’s success.

There are really only two things that I buy consistently online - music and casual shirts. I’ve had terrible experiences buying other clothing online especially pants and shoes.

Sears closed down here (Canada) roughly a year ago. I don’t remember that particular catalog but there were others that I remembered when I saw the pic.

My main motivation for shopping online is to secure something that would hard to get in the brick and mortar stores. I use an in-between feature quite often—i’ll buy online and pickup in store.

I will otherwise make sure to go to a physical location when I need to see what I’m buying in person first, such as furniture or certain clothes.

Our's was the Montgomery Ward catalog, but it was the same effect for Christmas. As I recall, the catalogs came in the mail and usually showed up between Halloween and Thanksgiving. The cost of printing and mailing tens of thousands of those big, thick catalogs must been extraordinary even by the standards of the day, but was I'm sure figured into the cost of doing businsss.

I remember them more from being the only thing to look at / read during detention in junior high......( yes I was a frequent flyer in that program).....lol.... I must have sketched 100's of scantily clad women from the lingerie section....looking back I wonder who thought it was a good idea to give early teen, testosterone driven boys access to such material...lmao..... oh how times have changed.... but it was a good study in anatomy.

Reactions: Lynne and Duke
My sister and I waited with baited breath for the arrival of the "Wish Book". Christmas lists were made from the contents of those pages!

We didn't get such a thing here but I wish we did. These days I shop both online and bricks an mortar but it's getting harder to shop physically as stores are closing down

Reactions: Debi