Share your favorite books here!

I was watching the news today about all the wildfires in California and the Pacific Northwest. It's horrible. The PNW got a little rain yesterday but they are in the worst drought ever. I thought about a mini-series I saw back in 1993 called "The Fire Next Time". I checked on Amazon today and they do have dvds available to purchase of the mini-series. The acting as I recall what not top grade but the subject matter in retrospect was uncanny in predicting what has happened to our climate and weather in the last 20 years. It is definitely worth watching.

"Thunder at Twilight" by Frederic Morton is next on the WW1 to- read list. Here is the Amazon synopsis. (I'm learning cut and paste, practicing.) I purchased it out of print for 42 cents plus $5 shipping.
Thunder at Twilight is a landmark historical vision, drawing on hitherto untapped sources to illuminate two crucial years in the life of the extraordinary city of Vienna—and in the life of the twentieth century.

It was during the carnival of 1913 that a young Stalin arrived in Vienna on a mission that would launch him into the upper echelon of Russian revolutionaries, and it was here that he first collided with Trotsky. It was in Vienna that the failed artist Adolf Hitler kept daubing watercolors and spouting tirades at fellow drifters in a flophouse. Here Archduke Franz Ferdinand had a troubled audience with Emperor Franz Joseph—and soon the bullet that killed the Archduke would set off the Great War that would kill ten million more.

With luminous prose that has twice made him a finalist for the National Book Award, Frederic Morton evokes the opulent, elegant, incomparable sunset metropolis—Vienna on the brink of cataclysm.
( Freud, Jung and Adler were also there, along with famous and future famous artists, writers, and scientists and inventors. Good times. The end of an epoch that had already run it's course.)
Holy Moly, It Worked ! This must be what Steve Jobs felt like.:cool:
51PeKy7SrBL._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
and a picture !

That was easy. Tomorrow I'll try to post a new topic for discussion.

Last edited:
Is your interest more statistical/historical, or prose fiction like "The Natural" or "The Greatest Slump of All Time"?

I love the history of the game, all the old leagues and that sort of thing. I used to visit the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum when I lived near Kansas City... met Buck O'Neil there a couple of times. He was a great ambassador for the game, and a walking historian for the Negro Leagues. The Royals have a memorial seat in his homor.
Hi Surge, I had to look up an old favorite book and thought of your love of MLB. Bill Veeck's "The Hustlers Handbook." He has a chapter on the Black Sox scandal that he cleverly wrote as fiction. I
77217549.jpg
think this is about as close to the truth than we'll ever be. Pic. of the 2 coolest men on the planet.

PS Eddie's Graedel's grand nephew was a local ballplayer and signed with the Padres. For those not in the know, Eddie was the midget Bill Veeck sent up to bat. His nephew, 6' 4".
images

Last edited:
Reactions: surge and DoTell
Today is Frankenstein Day. This day is in honor of author Mary Wollenstone Shelley who was born on August 30,1797. She wrote the book "Frankenstein "in 1818.
We have this day again in October, so let's read the book today.