Self simulating universe?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Are we a product of a self-simulating universe? - Unexplained Mysteries

A new hypothesis has put forward the notion that our universe may be self-simulating itself into existence.
The idea that we could all be living in a computer simulation - a concept popularized by hit movie The Matrix - is certainly nothing new, but now scientists at an LA-based theoretical physics institute have taken things one step further with a new hypothesis that is sure to leave you scratching your head.

The new paper, which is entitled "The Self-Simulation Hypothesis Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics", puts forward the idea that rather than living in a simulation generated by a sophisticated computer system, perhaps our 'reality' is a mental 'self-simulation' generated by the universe itself.

This implies that the world and everything in it does not exist physically but is an expression of the universe's consciousness i.e. the cosmos is 'self-actualizing' itself into existence.

This concept of reality also implies that time does not actually exist; instead the universe consists of a hierarchical order of thought and sub-thought covering everything from people and things all the way down to fundamental particles and the laws of physics.

"While many scientists presume materialism to be true, we believe that quantum mechanics may provide hints that our reality is a mental construct," said physicist David Chester.

"Recent advances in quantum gravity, such as seeing spacetime emergent via a hologram, also is a hint that spacetime is not fundamental."

"In a sense, the mental construct of reality creates spacetime to efficiently understand itself by creating a network of subconscious entities that can interact and explore the totality of possibilities."

This idea is known as panpsychism - meaning that everything exists as thought or consciousness.

It certainly offers an interesting take on the answer to life, the universe and everything.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I know this is a bit deep, but what are your thoughts on this?

Reactions: Paulm
I have read various takes on this, over the years. There does seem to be a school of thought that we create our realities with our thoughts. I can think of my own life, and how the first part was pretty awful until I started to practice a more positive mind set, and then things improved. But I can't say if they would have improved without my input, or not!

I know this is a bit deep, but what are your thoughts on this?
I think science is finding new terms to call what we all just take on faith. Collective intention (prayer) does change things. God is behind the curtain in Oz I’m my opinion.

Reactions: ozentity and Paulm
perhaps our 'reality' is a mental 'self-simulation' generated by the universe itself.

This implies that the world and everything in it does not exist physically but is an expression of the universe's consciousness i.e. the cosmos is 'self-actualizing' itself into existence..

Sooooo, if you change the word " universe " to " God " then they are saying this reality is just a product of his / hers conscienceness....didn't ppl already know that?????? And hasn't science been trying to disprove that all along...seems as they try harder to prove otherwise they actually get closer to believing it themselves....now I'm confused....lol

This is actually not far off from my belief that we may all be a part of or created by a universal mind that is basically the total accumulation of all in both time and places. I think that the universe is a circular self-perpetuating cycle where the universe was created by an advanced "mind" and that over time that universe evolves and as bits of intelligence arise and fall they add to the accumulated knowledge and power of a universal mind. Eventually, that mind reaches the point where it decided to create a "new" universe. I suspect that at that point there will be an awareness that as in the end so was the beginning...

Is a dream in a mind any different from a simulation in a computer when a computer is nothing more than a manmade mechanical brain?

PS: WOW I was brief and didn't wander!

Reactions: Lynne and ozentity
Sooooo, if you change the word " universe " to " God " then they are saying this reality is just a product of his / hers conscienceness....didn't ppl already know that?????? And hasn't science been trying to disprove that all along...seems as they try harder to prove otherwise they actually get closer to believing it themselves....now I'm confused....lol
Actually you stated it perfectly Paul!!