Second Sphinx found

This seems to originate here:
New sphinx discovered in Luxor
Cool , but:
"A sphinx was found"
"Bassam al-Shamma, a researcher in Egyptology, remarked that the Sphinx’s discovery is expected as several sphinx statues are found across Luxor such as the sphinx statues for King Aymanhotb III and Thutmose IV."
This makes it sound less like the lost companion to the Sphinx and more like another one of several smaller sphinx statues. The bit about lifting the statue gives the impression that this is a LOT smaller than THE Sphinx.
Interesting find though.

We need pictures
Rubbish Sphinxf.jpeg

I made this myself, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
I know when I was in Egypt in 2010 we went on these donkey cart rides around Cairo and there was some construction work going on in the city (I think a new road or something) and they unearthed a whole row of small sphinxes. As a result the construction had to stop and they had to relocate their construction project elsewhere. Our tour guide said it's not uncommon for more of these things to get unearthed with new building projects. Honestly love that country and would love to go back again. I'll see if I can find the pics/video and post them.

Reactions: Lynne and Benway
I know when I was in Egypt in 2010 we went on these donkey cart rides around Cairo and there was some construction work going on in the city (I think a new road or something) and they unearthed a whole row of small sphinxes. As a result the construction had to stop and they had to relocate their construction project elsewhere. Our tour guide said it's not uncommon for more of these things to get unearthed with new building projects. Honestly love that country and would love to go back again. I'll see if I can find the pics/video and post them.
Wow that had to be a fun trip.