Science and Buddhism

Sorry to have to disagree with the above.

Buddhism is a religion, with some philosophical thoughts as well. Look up the Buddhist "Hell". Notice how many different levels of hell, and the punishments in each level.

People pray to the numerous different gods for specific help.

Buddhist Temples are so numerous and you would be surprised at the amount of worshipping that takes place.

Ancestor worship is also a major part of Buddhism.

A person needs to have spent many years living there and speaking the language fluently to even get a grasp of both Buddhism and Taoism. Most Chinese believe in a combination of the two religions.
its not a religion in the sense of what most think, Buddha is not a god and the Buddhist "hell" isn't eternal, it is where you may end up from the karma you have acquired or built up upon yourself, after the karma has been shed you would be reborn to try again. it is a belief system that is more philosophical than religious. it doesn't follow a dogma of set rules or beliefs of heaven or hell as you would think, if from, or comparing to other belief systems..... it is simply at its core following the teachings of the "way"......but the question "is Buddhism a religion" is one that has been argued by many for many years......lol...... like so many other teachings and beliefs, Buddhism has also been targeted by the new age crowd and muddied up, but the true path put forth by the Buddha and the early teachings is more philosophy based, and quite enlightening if understood and studied properly.
and most Buddhist don't "pray" in the traditional sense...(comparison issue again)...the "prayer" for most is the belief of whats best as a collective whole, or the power of energy manipulation. or sending energy for purposes....hence the thought of everyone being a spiritual being and a vessel for the spiritual side....if we are all the source, the one, etc... then who would you pray to? kinda question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultima Thule
Oh well, we will have to agree to disagree. As an aside, I am referring to Chinese Buddhism, in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.

Oh well, we will have to agree to disagree. As an aside, I am referring to Chinese Buddhism, in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.
I agree with what you are saying in this case....when mixed with taoism, Shintoism, confusionism, ( or Christianity, as in this articles example ) etc... It is actually no longer Buddhism, it is just being used to help in their actual chosen religion or to better it in their views....kinda what this is stating to begin with.. That it can inhance whatever your belief may be,...so in a round about way we are back to square one.....lol

Reactions: Debi
the "I" is referring to the ego, learning to drop the ego, the I, the thoughts of self fulfillment and instead working for the betterment of the world as a whole... it is said that ppl wear three masks, its about shedding those masks and being who we truly are, our true selves... not what you want ppl to see or think but the true "you".... that will make you a better person......the reason we don't see more evidence of it is because everything ppl do is for themselves, they go for jobs just for the money, for the luxury, for the prestige, for the acclaim, awards, trophies etc..... the ego., as long as ppl want the self fulfilling reward nothing will ever change.......the philosophy of the selfless act is a good start to ponder on.
Well stated Paul.

Paul, you and Noble are giving me a better understanding of Buddhism.

Reactions: Paulm