School's Out!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

School's out for most kids now! Just had a grandson graduate!
Be honest, do you miss your High School Days?

346977826_595234389339293_3096314505299138067_n.png

• Puke
Reactions: garnetsilver
High school was a weird time. I had a reputation as a rebellious trouble maker, with my ripped jeans, worn out flannel shirts and long hair. And while I did engage in some pretty wild antics, I never really did anything as bad as my reputation would suggest. In fact I had a really good GPA and got an award my senior year for having 4 years of perfect attendance. My clothes looked the way they did because I was poor, not because I was trying to be edgy. But it was the 90's so nobody really noticed the difference.

I didn't drink, do drugs or any of the other cliche "troubled teen" behavior but everyone just kind of assumed I did. It was pretty eye opening when I overheard one of my teachers talking to the principal about me, apparently they considered me a "free spirit" and thus didn't worry about what sort things I might be doing. On the one hand I never got in trouble or even questioned about any rumors going on about me, but it was a little disheartening to hear that was who they thought I was.

I was kind of loner, which played into my rebel image, but that was just because I'm an introvert. Ironically it also made me very popular and I had all kinds of people who wanted to hang out with me, invite me to parties, ect. There were all the usual high-school cliques; jocks, prepy rich kids, stoners, nerds and because this was Los Angeles there were also the gang bangers. But somehow I ended up in friend circles where I could walk into any of these groups and be welcomed by them as an honorary member of their tribe. I wasn't exactly popular but there was a lot of people who knew me and seemed to like me.

Looking back I don't think I could have planned for things to work out like that if I had tried so I consider myself pretty fortunate that they did.

The social part was the only fun part of school. I hated the daily grind of school. I remember I was about 8 walking home from school alone carrying a ton of books and my lunchbox, thinking I had so many years to go. I could not wait to graduate. I liked college because we were treated like adults and had the freedom to show up or not as long as we got the grade. So nope, I do not miss high school, only the being young part.

I miss college. About ten years ago, I briefly serviced a Coffee Shop on a College Campus. I was about 32 or 33 at the time, but I'd also been gone for a long time. Seeing as how I never finished my major, I entertained going back and signing up for online classes, but I couldn't afford my bills, books and the online courses at once so I didn't. But school? No.

I went to the High School Musical high school, no kidding. Of course I was there decades earlier than the movie, lol. Actually only the auditorium existed when I attended, and it was finished in time for my senior year only. The entire remaining old building was razed and rebuilt to modern seismic standards some years after I graduated.
I would love to tour that old buidling again, too bad it exists only in memory now.

I went to the High School Musical high school, no kidding. Of course I was there decades earlier than the movie, lol. Actually only the auditorium existed when I attended, and it was finished in time for my senior year only. The entire remaining old building was razed and rebuilt to modern seismic standards some years after I graduated.
I would love to tour that old buidling again, too bad it exists only in memory now.
How fun a great connection.

Reactions: garnetsilver
I miss the sports and the activities. hanging out after school and cruising nights on the weekends. the social aspect and even some of the classes. but even more i think it was the time period i miss, the 80's was the best decade ever....