School Reunions

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
Would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts/experiences relative to school reunions. I've never been to either a high school or college reunion. No real reason other than I've always been a look ahead, not back, kinda guy. Besides, the people I've wanted to stay in touch with from high school and college (and career for that matter), I have.

Turns out my high school graduating class is having what is being billed as possibly our final reunion, they are really pressing hard for everyone to attend. It's no hardship for me to go, it's just a few miles from my home, but I'm at best mildly interested in attending. Thoughts?

Would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts/experiences relative to school reunions. I've never been to either a high school or college reunion. No real reason other than I've always been a look ahead, not back, kinda guy. Besides, the people I've wanted to stay in touch with from high school and college (and career for that matter), I have.

Turns out my high school graduating class is having what is being billed as possibly our final reunion, they are really pressing hard for everyone to attend. It's no hardship for me to go, it's just a few miles from my home, but I'm at best mildly interested in attending. Thoughts?
x

Excellent question. I went to my 5 year and immediately decided it was an error. I now have nothing in common with these people, and truly those that were close friends have stayed that way and it was their party. Never been back to another and have no desire to go to one.

Let me add to that a bit....I talked with someone who did go to the last High School reunion, which I did not attend. She said it was like an all night one up manship game. She felt very "judged", and said she would not put herself into that again. If you think about it, what you are doing at these things is giving your life resume. Here's what I've done, what have you done? Not a lot of memories shared, per my friend. More of a how did you turn out thing.

I can only tell you what my Dad did. His thoughts were always the same way as your thoughts and mine.
Go do it. He found another thing to cherish.

Reactions: Duke and ozentity
I went to our 25 year reunion, gotta agree with Debi, it was pretty much a competition and gossip fest...left pretty early not regretting not keeping in touch with the majority of the ppl there... I did meet a couple of ppl I enjoyed talking to and seeing again, but it seemed most were still trying to live the teen years, overly hanging on to their moment of glory while trying to compete with everyone elses accomplishments since..... I guess it is something ya gotta do once at least, but really if I had to do it over again I would probably pass.....lol

Duke I feel the same way about looking forward and keeping good friends close so no need for a reunion. Since this is your last one though it might be a fun time to go to with the few friends you are still friends with. If you all just make it a night out. I think by this time in their lives your class mates may have a more relaxed view of trying to impress.

I probably would pass on that. I got picked on a lot in school, called weird, etc. I never formed any close friendships in my school years and even as an adult, I have maybe two really good friends. Most people don't "get" me and social gatherings (especially composed of people I never cared to see again) would not be enjoyable at all. Still,in the end, attending reunions depends upon how you feel about the people you would be socializing with.

Been it's been 6 years and I got no word of a reunion. Oh well. I dont care because the class lowkey voted me most likely to shoot up a school or microwave a kitten. I dont have a single friend from high school.

Thanks to all for your inputs, you've echoed thoughts (both pro and con) I've had about attending. At this point I'm undecided, but I've got several weeks yet to decide.

Paul's post reminded me of a chance meeting with a high school classmate back several years ago. As I was checking in to vote at my local polling place, I noticed a fairly attractive lady about my age at the sign in table next to me. After we had both cast our votes and where leaving the building, she approached and asked if I was (me.) After I confirmed who I was, she identified herself by her maiden name and said we had graduated together. I honestly told her I was sorry, but I didn't remember her. She responded I should remember her, she was a varsity cheerleader. She seemed genuinely stunned that tidbit didn't improve my memory.
I couldn't tell if she was hurt or insulted, but we parted company somewhat awkwardly. I recall thinking it was kinda sad this woman still self identified as a high school cheerleader some forty years after her last "sis boom bah."