School/cafeteria food

Oh Oz my heart goes out to you. None of that sounds good to me. What’s a hot veggie sandwich?
It was just a sandwich with Vegemite spread(black concentrated yeast extract) which I still have every morning on toast lol.It's an acquired taste most Aussies grow up on.My lunch sandwich was hot and squashed from being in a hot school bag all day and the bananas would get to rotting point .Still I survived it to tell the tale lol.

I have a Maori friend who can beat anything,his mum would give him live water snails in his lunch box(a traditional food) but even his mates would laugh every day when he opened it for lunch and the snails came crawling out lol.

I have a Maori friend who can beat anything,his mum would give him live water snails in his lunch box(a traditional food) but even his mates would laugh every day when he opened it for lunch and the snails came crawling out lol.
Oz, if it's crawling out of my lunch pail, it's not an edible item! :eek:

Not as graphic as Oz's story, but his post reminded me of a work (as opposed to school) lunch story I personally witnessed.

I worked in an office with a guy who was kinda strange. He would come in every morning and place his brown bag lunch on his desk, despite there being a refrigerator nearby to store his food. One day around lunchtime a coworker noticed what looked like a small puddle forming on his desk under his lunch. She grabbed some paper towels and was just about to wipe it up as he walked back in. Without saying a word, he sat down, dipped his hand into the lunch bag, and pulled out a large chunk of meat. In short order he ate it room temperature, then used the papers towels our coworker had retrieved to wipe the grease from his hands. He threw both the paper towels and the badly grease stained paper bag into the trash.

Last edited:
Not as graphic as Oz's story, but his post reminded me of a work (as opposed to school) lunch story I personally witnessed.

I worked in an office with a guy who was kinda strange. He would come in every morning and place his brown bag lunch on his desk, despite their being a refrigerator nearby to store his food. One day around lunchtime a coworker noticed what looked like a small puddle forming on his desk under his lunch. She grabbed some paper towels and was just about to wipe it up as he walked back in. Without saying a word, he sat down, dipped his hand into the lunch bag, and pulled a large piece of meat. In short order he ate it room temperature, then used the papers towels our coworker had retrieved to wipe the grease from his hands. He threw both the paper towels and the badly grease stained paper bag into the trash.
I'm cooking....and kinda gagging now.

It was just a sandwich with Vegemite spread(black concentrated yeast extract) which I still have every morning on toast lol.It's an acquired taste most Aussies grow up on.My lunch sandwich was hot and squashed from being in a hot school bag all day and the bananas would get to rotting point .Still I survived it to tell the tale lol.
Omg that sounds horrible Oz. I’m so happy you survived lol.