Scented secrets

175662117_1858084631020108_4800052365931200680_n.jpg
Perfume bottles in a walnut case from the mid 1800's, France.
It came up on my Facebook favs from a place called Vintage Weird.

Reactions: ozentity and jadamz
Exactly the kind of scent I would expect a chain smoking cafeteria worker turned dominatrix to wear. ;)

Seriously J, if you’re wearing this, where did you get it from? And, did you sniff it on someone else before you bought it. It sounds really risky.
I go to a couple of high-quality vintage perfume places online. I have long discussions with some of the perfume mafia about all this. Originally, I started researching what the old Hollywood actresses wore. Actresses like Ava Gardner. She wore Fracas, which is made by the same guy and has similar notes but Bandit is more leathery. I love this scent. These perfumes are very very expensive but I have a place where I can buy a decant of a milliliter from a very old bottle for 60 bucks but it's enough to know if I want to invest in a larger amount. And a little lasts a looong time.The nice thing is, when you get into this quality of vintage perfume, even if it is 70 or more years old, it loses none of its punch and often matures,like wine, into greater complexity..

Perfume is so intimate, and you want to have the one that sits on your skin in the most beautiful way ...I choose a scent and keep it near me and take a hit off it thru the day.
Yes...weird...I know...

One of my big concerns about Covid was losing my sense of smell. It is obviously a biggie for me.

It takes a lot of searching to find something like the Bandit I have which is the very original from 1944 .The new formulations don't contain some of the most vital components of yore .. like Oak Moss, and then all the animal ingredients, from Ambergris, Musk, Civet, Castoreum, etc., which takes some of the naughty animal qualities away. We are animals, and we have skin that really responds to the scent of other animals .. so that part of the industry is gone forever. I really feel different when i wear these vintage scents. They have a specific vibration.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozentity
I go to a couple of high-quality vintage perfume places online. I have long discussions with some of the perfume mafia about all this. Originally, I started researching what the old Hollywood actresses wore. Actresses like Ava Gardner. She wore Fracas, which is made by the same guy and has similar notes but Bandit is more leathery. I love this scent. These perfumes are very very expensive but I have a place where I can buy a decant of a milliliter from a very old bottle for 60 bucks but it's enough to know if I want to invest in a larger amount. And a little lasts a looong time.The nice thing is, when you get into this quality of vintage perfume, even if it is 70 or more years old, it loses none of its punch and often matures,like wine, into greater complexity..

Perfume is so intimate, and you want to have the one that sits on your skin in the most beautiful way ...I choose a scent and keep it near me and take a hit off it thru the day.
Yes...weird...I know...

One of my big concerns about Covid was losing my sense of smell. It is obviously a biggie for me.

It takes a lot of searching to find something like the Bandit I have which is the very original from 1944 .The new formulations don't contain some of the most vital components of yore .. like Oak Moss, and then all the animal ingredients, from Ambergris, Musk, Civet, Castoreum, etc., which takes some of the naughty animal qualities away. We are animals, and we have skin that really responds to the scent of other animals .. so that part of the industry is gone forever. I really feel different when i wear these vintage scents. They have a different vibration.

Nice! A post with pinup photos is always a welcome sight...and smell.

I’m glad you found that scent you can treasure.

Don‘t be envious but later today, I’ll head over to CVS to pick up a liter of Jovan Musk.

Nice! A post with pinup photos is always a welcome sight...and smell.

I’m glad you found that scent you can treasure.

Don‘t be envious but later today, I’ll head over to CVS to pick up a liter of Jovan Musk.
Hey I have Jovan Musk!

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
Those damn Musks that are now 400 bucks,were originally 8 bucks,45 years ago when I was in high school ,

Those damn Musks that are now 400 bucks,were originally 8 bucks,45 years ago when I was in high school ,
So I really did go to CVS tonight and they really do have Jovan Musk (for some genders). It was like 26.99 for the big bottle. I was compelled to ask for one from behind the front counter but they didn’t have any mixers...so...nope. o_O

So I really did go to CVS tonight and they really do have Jovan Musk (for some genders). It was like 26.99 for the big bottle. I was compelled to ask for one from behind the front counter but they didn’t have any mixers...so...nope. o_O
I really like Jovan musk!!! Hold on to it for 40 years and you’ll get 10 grand for that big bottle. Jovan has been making musk for a long time and they make it well.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman