Satellites explode from unknown causes

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
This sounds like a nation testing an anti-satellite weapon sytem (ASAT). I know the US, Russia, and China have already demonstrated ASAT capabilities, and I think India was in the process of developing such a system. Attacking/destroying another nation's satellite would be an act of war, however.

There have been a few different methods used to take out a satellite. I know the Chinese destroyed one of their own satellites by ramming it with another satellite. The US and Russia have used anti-satellite missiles, with the US system being air launched from an F-15 fighter. There has also been talk of using high powered lasers to fry the electronics of orbiting satellites.

In the case of the two satellites destroyed in the article, I would think radar would have detected missiles fired at them. Radar wouldn't pick up laser or other beam systems, but I'd guess there are sensor systems that would. The question is whether a such a weapon would literally "tear them to pieces" or just fry them? I suppose it could also be space junk or tiny particles of space debris (like what we see as "shooting stars") taking them out, but two in short order would be one heck of a coincidence.

Kind of my take on it as well. I did note they were both weather sats. Another coincidence is too much to take.
But if you were testing a weapon to take out someone else's satellite, a commercial weather satellite is a much lower value target than military GPS, communication, or surveillance satellites. Less chance things would escalate.

Reactions: Debi
But if you were testing a weapon to take out someone else's satellite, a commercial weather satellite is a much lower value target than military GPS, communication, or surveillance satellites. Less chance things would escalate.
Agreed. I think we are looking at Space Wars beginning. Nothing radical yet, but the opening shots may have been fired.

America has been slightly ahead in directed particle beam weapons, and Russia is ahead in Laser weapons. But there are also the other countries trying the same thing so could be anyone. The thing is there is no smoking gun on these weapons and nothing to see afterwards.
But destroying satellites leaves a lot more space junk up there that is likely to destroy other bits eventually, or be a hazard to manned launches.
- Someone should be responsible for clearing that stuff up.

Kind of my take on it as well. I did note they were both weather sats. Another coincidence is too much to take.
What are the chances a third will be destroyed at the same orbit.

Time for 90-year-old Kirk and his remaining crew to maneuver the Enterprise into position for a full sensor scan investigation. Don’t forget to bring aboard Koko - the Captain’s handler - for off duty fun times. :speaknoevil: :LLAP

Reactions: Debi