Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
'Paranormal State' ghost hunter Ryan Buell arrested

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
'Paranormal State' ghost hunter Ryan Buell arrested
Email
1520902_630x354.jpg

Ryan Daniel Buell is seen in an undated file photo.

By Diane Wilson
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:02PM
RALEIGH --
A television personality who claims to be a paranormal expert and looked for ghosts on the cable series "Paranormal State" is in jail amid theft charges.

Ryan Daniel Buell, 34, is facing two felony charges related to theft and stolen property. He's also facing a misdemeanor charge of theft of services. All charges are in Centre County, Pennsylvania, where Buell was last known to be living. Buell was arrested on Sept. 18 in Florence County, South Carolina, the state where he grew up.

Buell's role in "Paranormal State" involved looking for ghosts or trying to prove that life after death is real.

He has a sizable fan base across the country, but fans started getting frustrated with him after he canceled shows without providing refunds.

Buell had started a tour called "Conversations with the Dead Tour." Tickets were sold to shows in cities across the U.S. and Canada, but the shows got postponed and then canceled, leaving fans with no answers and looking for refunds.

Fans were out hundreds of dollars and wanted their money back. Many of them never got a dime back. Some were able to get refunds by disputing the charge with their credit card company.

In 2014, Chip Coffey, a long-time friend of Buell's, was scheduled to be on the "Conversations with the Dead Tour" with Buell. He said thousands of dollars were at stake. At the time, Coffey said Buell and his team were in charge of all the details for the tour, but nothing was booked, despite selling tickets to the show.

"I know that the last accounting I had, with regards to ticket sales for the 'Conversations with the Dead Tour,' it was in excess of $80,000," Coffey said.

The 2014 incident was not the first time Buell canceled shows. In 2012, he canceled some shows claiming he was fighting pancreatic cancer. In late 2013, Buell told People Magazine he was close to remission, ready to tour again and he started selling tickets for 2014 to another tour. Yet, several of those shows never happened.

Buell later moved to Pennsylvania and once again started advertising shows and connecting with his fans on his Facebook page. Fans once again complained that Buell took money for events, and then they siad Buell either didn't show or the events were canceled - the most recent being a dinner in August.

Now, Buell's mother is speaking out publicly. She posted several times on Buell's public Facebook page and The PRS Bureau's page.

OPEN LETTER TO FANS - My plea to you is long overdue. Please forgive me as first and foremost, I am a MOTHER. We all want the best for our children and can be guilty of closing our eyes to the obvious. But we do it with the best of intentions and have a hard time believing what our children can be capable of. I too, took the road of non-belief for years. I am pleading with you in a last-ditch effort to help my son. With this being a public forum, you must understand that there is only so much I can put in writing. But I will say this - the ONLY people who TRULY know his situation and whom you should trust in this is his blood FAMILY. Not those who are in cahoots, nor profess their PRS love, or "business" partners. We want nothing from Ryan except HIM - to enjoy and love as our son, brother, nephew, cousin, grandson, etc. So, as his Mother, I beg you all - if you are a TRUE fan - PLEASE stop enabling his situation by sending money, buying tickets to events that may never occur, buying merchandise/phone calls you may never get, paying money to watch him on Twitch, and giving him offers of shelter. If you TRULY want to help him...you TRULY have his BEST interests at heart, THIS is how you help. I know that some of you will choose to not believe me, believe that I'm doing this to hurt Ryan, or bash me but as a Mother, I am pleading with you out of LOVE for my son and I'm frightened by what his situation has become. We, as his family truly want our son, brother, nephew, cousin, grandson,etc to get well and come back to us - we haven't had the TRUE Ryan in years. So PLEASE....help him get well with prayers.....words of encouragement....and pleas for him to get the help he needs. Nothing more. Working together, maybe we can get this to work. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and GOD BLESS YOU - THE PRS CREW KEEPS DELETING THIS POST - THIS IS HOW MUCH THEY TRULY "CARE" ABOUT RYAN - ALL ABOUT $$$ TO THEM. PLEASE READ AND PASS ALONG TO EVERYONE IN THE PARANORMAL COMMUNITY!!

Buell's mother writes to Buell's fans, "PLEASE stop enabling his situation by sending money, buying tickets to events that may never occur, buying merchandise/phone calls you may never get, paying money to watch him on Twitch, and giving him offers of shelter ... I am pleading with you out of LOVE for my son and I'm frightened by what his situation has become."

Fans and one-time fans quickly commented on Buell's mother's post. Some are defending Buell, while others say how Buell has taken money from them, too. One fan talks about how Buell was sick, and his mom writes, "He's ill, but not from cancer. His family knows the REAL story. You all need to stop believing his lies and stop enabling him....PLEASE."

At last check Buell, remains in the Florence County Detention Center in South Carolina.

Full story at site....

Sad...just sad....

Last edited:
Well, you may actually have a point. His mom says no cancer...so my best guess is drug abuse. All that money he stole had to go somewhere.

Reactions: Paintman
Someone brought up on FB an interesting question. Ryan did a LOT of demonic work. Is it possible that he became oppressed or even possessed to have such a dramatic change?

Someone brought up on FB an interesting question. Ryan did a LOT of demonic work. Is it possible that he became oppressed or even possessed to have such a dramatic change?
thats what his mother is saying I guess.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
That is the thought that came to me as I was reading the story. It must be tough for his family to see him this way.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
From Chip Coffey:

Chip Coffey - Psychic and Medium
17 hrs ·
Earlier today, I learned that Ryan Daniel Buell, former television personality on TV's Paranormal State, had been arrested. The news was shocking, but I was NOT surprised.

After appearing on 31 episodes of Paranormal State, I left the show after enduring several ugly interactions with Ryan. Almost three years later, during which time there was no communication between Ryan and me, he called me and delivered what I believed to be a sincere apology, so I forgave him.

A few months later, I attended an anniversary celebration in honor of PRS (Ryan's organization) that was held in Raleigh, NC. Shortly thereafter, Ryan and I did an event together, also in Raleigh. Things seemed to be getting back on track between us, so when Ryan and Sergey asked me to do a six city tour, appearing onstage together with Ryan, I agreed to do so.

Sadly, less than a week before the tour was scheduled to begin, I discovered that payments had not been made to the venues where we were slated to appear, nor had airline tickets, hotel accommodations, car rentals, etc. been booked...despite the fact that over $80,000.00 had been collected for ticket sales.

At that point, I issued a public statement, separating myself from Ryan, Sergey and the tour. I did not receive any money -- not one penny! -- from the sale of tickets.

Many people have posted on social media about having paid money to Ryan, Sergey and PRS, but they never received what they paid for -- event tickets, classes, merchandise, etc. Despite having requested / demanded refunds, numerous people still have not gotten their money back.

Ryan has been arrested on two felony charges and one misdemeanor. It is pretty evident from his mug shot that he is not the same Ryan that I knew from our times together on Paranormal State.

I have been asked many times about Ryan's health. I can only say that I have heard that he was / is suffering from pancreatic cancer, but numerous sources have also said that, in fact, he is not.

Obviously, Ryan needs help, but I am doubtful that he will get the help he needs because he continues to have others in his life who are willing to support, enable and facilitate his negative behavior.

I will pray for Ryan and his family. And like everyone else, I will wait to see how this whole messy drama continues to unfold...

Reactions: Paintman
Comment away, Duck! That's what we're here for!

I can't remember where I saw this, but one of his former colleagues came out and outright said it's addiction. Since he's known him he's been addicted to one drug or another. He looks absolutely horrible in that mug shot, like his whole face has changed.

Reactions: Debi