Roommates Stories

I had one college roommate who thought he could pay his half of the rent with toilet paper stolen from his night job as a janitor in the Anthropology building. He tried this stunt a few times, I moved out and left him hanging after two semesters of putting up with him.

• Wow
Reactions: ozentity and Benway
My freshman roommate showed up with the expectation of decorating our dorm room in "Early American Indian." He intended to do up the room as a large tepee, and hang things like tomahawks, arrowheads, and Indian prints on both sides of the room. He complained bitterly about my Salvador Dali and rock band prints/posters. He was a major loon, and spent his career designing windshield wiper systems for GM.
ha, you should have told him the Dali paintings would be like a peyote vision quest .....

I was returning to the barracks after a night at the enlisted club on base. Knowing it was late and my roommate was sure to be asleep I quietly opened the door to our room and kept the lights off. In the dark I could see the faint outline of my roommate kneeling in the corner of the room. I was about to ask what he was doing when it occurred to me that I could also hear him snoring, I looked at his bed and could clearly make out that he was asleep. So who was standing in the corner of the room!?

Not wanting to alert this mysterious person that they had been spotted I pretended not to notice them and started emptying my pockets onto the nightstand, all the while watching this figure with my peripheral vision. The person was kneeling with their back against the wall. I could make out their head, shoulders and arms. I could also see the heel of their shoe up against the wall. Having made just enough noise to let them know that I was there I figured this person would surely have said or done something by now if it was supposed to be some weird prank. The fact that they hadn't told me they were not there for a harmless reason. So I decided to act. I stretched my arms out in front of me like I was tired and ready for bed as I took a step towards the corner. Then with a move that would have impressed my old sensei I delivered a spinning back kick right into the figures chest. There was a loud hollow cracking sound as the figure slammed against the wall, bounced off and fell face first onto the ground where it lay motionless.

This of course woke up my roommate who sat up, turned on the light and asked what was going on. In the light I was now able to get a good look at the intruder, it was my roommate's vacuum cleaner. He had used it to hang up his uniform including putting his cap on top of the handle. I quickly picked the vacuum cleaner up to set it back against the wall where it had been and saw that the plastic cover on the front now had a my foot sized crack in it.

I told my roommate that I tripped over his vacuum in the dark and would be buying him a new one.

I used to live with two born again Christians who decided it would be a really good idea to put up two pictures of Christ in the sitting room that we all shared. They didn't ask, they just did it while the rest of us were out (there were five of us in total, sharing a house, and I was friends with the other two).

At the time, myself and the other two were Pagan/alternative types and we were quite annoyed. We decided to teach them a lesson by putting up a picture of Satan the following day. Needless to say, it caused a bit of consternation!

I would never be so immature now, but it sure was fun at the time!

(No offense to any Christians on here either - I respect all faiths.)

Last edited:
Reactions: WitchAndShaman