Rethinking Egyptian Stoneworking

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Rethinking Ancient Egyptian Stone-Working Technology – The Daily Grail

The amazing stone-working skills of the ancient Egyptians have fascinated historians for millennia, and sparked no shortage of theories about how they accomplished such amazing feats of architecture and sculpture (ancient aliens, anyone?). But it seems there’s still plenty of misunderstanding about how they did it, from fringe theorists right through to orthodox Egyptologists.

Film-maker Alex Mott has traveled the world taking a closer look at ancient mysteries (see his YouTube films on Peru, India, and the alleged Bosnian Pyramid), and in a recent film he returned to some of the enigmas of ancient Egyptian stone-working:

Alex Mott revisits Egypt, continuing to research the stone working techniques of ancient civilizations and other mysteries. A theory regarding the function of the huge stone boxes at the Serapeum is explored, but the claims of space age precision turn out to be rumours and exaggerations only. A closer look at the Pyramid of Menkaure produces yet more questions than answers, further doubts are raised about the use of pounding balls at the Aswan Quarry and something is found on the ceiling of the Temple of Hathor that could change everything we think we know about the past.

It’s likely you’ll disagree with at least some of what Mott is saying – but regardless, the questions posed and the mysteries explored are certainly fascinating.

Note too, for Sphinx enthusiasts: Mott has posted a short ‘Extras’ video from his Egypt travels, in which he walks around the Great Sphinx, drawing attention to the other structures found there, the repairs made over the years and water damage on the Sphinx enclosure itself.

These videos are great! It's so difficult to find things about ancient Egypt (or anywhere) which aren't either completely orthodox or just making everything fit into ancient astronaut Zechariah Sitchen tat with really bad research. He also supports my food based explanation for those giant boxes (what joke?) with some facts and observations that I totally thought of but didn't think anybody would need explaining so didn't mention them.*

Yes. That's what happened. **

If you live in a very very hot place then a sealed stone box with a polished interior stored underground is the closest you are going to get to a refrigerator. The Sphinx video was the most useful information about the subject in the shortest time I've ever seen and I have only my love of cliffhangers to keep me going until he disappoints me with the answer to the lost history question later or never follows up.

*This is at best a half truth :)

** I really did think of the cheese and lunchbox jokes because it reminded me of food storage though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne
Good finds Debi. I’ll wstch these today.
Ben I love the lunch box reference.