Remembering Art Bell

Personally, I wish Bell had not attempted his two abortive comebacks, neither DM nor especially MitD were very good. Those shows reminded me of the once great Willie Mays stumbling around the outfield for the 1973 Mets. Like with Willie, my later unhappy memories tend to override the memories of a once brilliant performer.

DM--I remember Bell losing it with ufologist Timothy Good. He sent Good packing early after he made some unsubstantiated, off-the-wall claims. One was something like he had been told by his second cousin's friend's hairdresser who was told by an MI6 agent the Brits had bugged Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong's London hotel room and got recordings of them talking about aliens on the moon. Good also claimed Gordon Cooper admitted to piloting an alien craft. That night really seemed to take the starch out of Bell's sails. He called it quits just a week or so later.

MitD--Three shows standout, the first was the night Peter Robbins went berserk attacking Nick Pope. Try though he might, Bell could not get him to drop it and talk about whatever it was he was originally there to talk about. Bell got so frustrated with Robbins he read several scathing "fast blasts" from listeners directed at the guest. The next night Bell spent some time early in the show talking about the surreal nature of the previous night. He sounded totally beat down.

The other show that really caught my attention was the young man from Utah who claimed to have found a crashed UFO. It was obvious he was making it up as he went along, with Bell seemingly more upset about the kid having the audacity to speak with him over a cell phone (vice landline he been told to use) than he was the guest was clearly playing him with his phony story. I distinctly remember being saddened that night.

My one pleasant memory was guest Elaine, the woman from rural Texas who claimed a Bigfoot that wore clothes stolen from her clothesline and ate lemon pie lived in her backyard. That was the only show from DM or MitD where it sounded like Art was having fun. I think there is a good possibility she was a shill, but even if that was the case, it was good to hear Bell back in rare form.

Reactions: 7Critter
My one pleasant memory was guest Elaine, the woman from rural Texas who claimed a Bigfoot that wore clothes stolen from her clothesline and ate lemon pie lived in her backyard. That was the only show from DM or MitD where it sounded like Art was having fun. I think there is a good possibility she was a shill, but even if that was the case, it was good to hear Bell back in rare form.
She was from East Texas, it was apple pie, and she gave him a flannel shirt! Elaine is legend here on the forum! Believe it or not, she appears to be a real person out there as she did appear on two other shows after that with the same tale. We still refer to Elaine with love whenever we get talking about BF! lol

Now, as to Art's comebacks. Duke, I do have to kind of agree with you. But I want to actually talk a bit about that with knowing what we now know about Art's condition.

You're right. He wasn't the same. He was easily agitated and not his old self in either of the comebacks. He did not sound like he was having fun, and that was half of what you listened to him for. At the time, no one knew he had COPD until after a sudden hospital stay.

Now, I suddenly have personal knowledge of this insidious killer. After the flu left me with scarred lungs, and throwing my asthma in there for a final diagnosis, I now am one of those COPD'ers. It's a very difficult thing to live with, particularly because one day you can be up and about and feel quite normal and the next day you are suddenly back on your 02 at 4 liters because for no apparent rhyme or reason you can't breathe. Walking to and from the bathroom becomes a chore and leaves you huffing and puffing. You may be fine one minute and an hour later you are wracked with anxiety out of nowhere because of the steroid meds you're taking. Some days you get painful lungs....where it actually hurts to breathe. A simple cold can land you in the hospital. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Like Art, I suffer from a very bad back that, back in the day, they were unable to fix. With 5 blown discs in a row that now have no real disc left and just kind of moosh together the longer you sit, the pain level can be very high. Now, put those two together and you have Art Bell at 70 trying to do a show. The old carefree Art was facing a lot of medical problems we were simply not aware of. Yes, we knew about the back, but that just gets worse as you get older.

I don't know how many pain meds he was taking. I do know that rightfully he was prescribed some, but I did see the combo he had and there was a really bad mix there. I avoid taking my pain meds as much as I can, but there are days it's simply gotta happen. If Art was trying to do that show under pain medications, I don't know how he did that. I can't even type when I have to take even one of mine, much less talk for 3 hours in a coherent fashion. I even tell one of my staff when I have to take one so they can alert me if I'm not tracking right for some reason here. I know the combos he was on killed him but that's not why I bring this up. His death isn't the focus of this thread.

I want to say that while he was living with all these illnesses, he was fighting a battle. Every damn day and every time he got in front of that mic. Being breathless, or in pain, or fighting off anxiety, comes through that mic. And Art sent out a lot of energy with each show. He was under a lot of pressure to return and be the old Art again...which he most likely hoped to do for us. In this case, the battle he faced was just a bit too much. Sometimes you can't capture past magic, and I think that became painfully evident to him the last time around.

So we're going to celebrate the Art we all knew and loved, who gave us that magic that grabbed us and held us in awe. And I hope my explanation will help others understand that the same man gave it two more shots to give us just a bit more. In doing so, he brought us here and together. For that I'll always be grateful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne
One of my other favorite parts of Art's last shows was his encounter with the mouse. I offered to send him a Habitrail for it! I think he named it Abby.

th

Reactions: Lynne
I'm familiar with COPD, it killed my brother just over a year ago and emphysema destroyed my mother's quality of life before ovarian cancer took her.

In his prime, with the possible exception of John Batchelor, Bell was the best radio interviewer I ever heard. That's how I'd have preferred to remember him, like Willie Mays running down impossible fly balls at Candlestick.

My favorite guests were his interviews with Col John Alexander, as well as his GIS shows. The single funniest open lines call I ever heard Bell take was on a night he had a designated line for callers to relate bad or weird date stories. "Dates from Hell" I think he called the segment . A ditzy sounding young female caller started telling him about this guy she went out and to bed with, apparently he was both well endowed and extremely flexible. She sort of rambled, Bell peppering her with questions and milking the story for all it was worth. It was obvious where she was going with the story, and Art let her get right up to the point of explicitly saying something quite graphic before he cut her off and casually went to his next call. I damn near wet myself laughing.

Sorry for the loss of family members, hon. I laid that out for anyone reading along with us here.

Art was a pro at that! He could take a call and turn it into pure entertainment no matter what it was. And how many other hosts can pull that off? lol Another good one was the crazy glue lip fiasco he got himself into. Gluing your lips together. Who knew it could be so dang funny? lol

Reactions: 7Critter
Art was my nightly companion as I worked the night shift for over 20 years. I rarely missed a show. Hearing any of his bumper music or introductions takes me to another time. EVERY time he quit I felt like I lost my best friend. Art had that ability to make you feel connected. I still grieve his loss. He was the voice of the night at the perfect moment in time. He tried to recapture the magic but the times and listeners had changed. He was gone too long. Signing the noncompete clause ended his radio carrier. He had the magic for a while and gave us the gift of entertainment, drama and wonder. I hope he is at peace. I know I will always miss that voice in the night.

Reactions: 7Critter and Duke
Art was my nightly companion as I worked the night shift for over 20 years. I rarely missed a show. Hearing any of his bumper music or introductions takes me to another time. EVERY time he quit I felt like I lost my best friend. Art had that ability to make you feel connected. I still grieve his loss. He was the voice of the night at the perfect moment in time. He tried to recapture the magic but the times and listeners had changed. He was gone too long. Signing the noncompete clause ended his radio carrier. He had the magic for a while and gave us the gift of entertainment, drama and wonder. I hope he is at peace. I know I will always miss that voice in the night.

Art's show back in the 90s hit during the proverbial perfect storm. His subject matter was new to national radio, and it coincided with the huge success of the "X Files". Further, he was the first in the talk show genre to grasp the value of the personal computer and internet, a relatively new technology at the time. Computers were an integral part of the program, no one else was doing that. To many of those early callers/listeners, the internet was as much a mystery as the topics discussed on the show.

Art's show back in the 90s hit during the proverbial perfect storm. His subject matter was new to national radio, and it coincided with the huge success of the "X Files". Further, he was the first in the talk show genre to grasp the value of the personal computer and internet, a relatively new technology at the time. Computers were an integral part of the program, no one else was doing that. To many of those early callers/listeners, the internet was as much a mystery as the topics discussed on the show.
You have a good point on that, Duke. He was on the cutting edge of all of that. Many of us didn't have a computer and he was already using them for his shows.

Reactions: Lynne