Remember that time when...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

WHILE TALKING WITH A FRIEND TODAY, WE STARTED THINKING OF THE TIMES THAT LEFT US LAUGHING. MANY OF THOSE WERE AT OFFICE PARTIES. SOMETIMES, IT WAS JUST THE "TROUBLE" WE SOMEHOW GOT OURSELVES INTO. OTHERS INCLUDED RELATIVES THAT DID CRAZY THINGS.

WHAT'S A FUNNY STORY OR TWO FROM YOUR LIFE THAT STILL MAKES YOU LAUGH?

One day, when we were in our teens, I was walking down a busy street with my younger brother. He was the family clown and would spontaneously do things that made me laugh. So, out of the blue, he opened the door of an office building and looked in. The room was full of people typing. He started singing the intro song to the Casper cartoon hour. An angry man came and chased us away, but we were laughing so hard we could hardly walk.

This is not very polite, but still makes me laugh. I went to parochial school for six years, then my folks let me go to public middle school. O blessed relief from those mean nuns!

One day I was walking home from public school. I had stopped at 7-11 for a Pepsi, and drank it as I continued towards home. As I passed my old parochial school, I let out a very loud belch, as if to celebrate my freedom. A nun ran to an open window, and angrily slammed it shut. I can still see her wrinkled scowling face!

I have sooo many of these lol. I'll start with the Jamesway category lol. When we were young, me, my brother and sister would be taken to Jamesway (kinda like K-Mart) with our mom. My brother would walk really fast in front of us (me and sister) and grab a lamp or whatever down an aisle and toss it behind him for us to hurry and catch it lol. My brother would also go to those random intercom phones and call for price checks in random voices lol. Then there was the poor guy who gathered the carts lol. My brother would roll every cart he could to the front of our car and we'd hide inside till the poor guy came up. My brother would lay on the horn as soon as he got there lol.

I was about 16, my brother 11 or 12.

We were in the living room, I was sitting on the couch. One of the family cats, Simon, was standing on all fours in front of me, his tail in the air. My odd little brother was pointing at the cats butt and laughing, his finger just an inch from his target.
Sensing an opportunity, I threw my arms out and yelled, absolutely startling the cat, who moved straight backwards- my brother's finger slid right up into the cat's rear end all the way.
For a split second, the cat and my brother had the same expression on their faces, absolute shock and surprise- then the cat took off like a rocket, and my brother was yelling, looking at his finger in horror.
I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. I still thank the Lord for setting it up for me, half a century later. Never gets old.
That cat and my brother could never look each other in the eye after that.

When I was in 7th grade I would walk to school and home from school with the girl who lived across the street. One day when we were leaving school we walked past the library to the outside door and a big girl came running out and grabbed my friend by the shoulder and threw her down on the floor yelling at her. Then she looked at her face and got embarrassed. She had mistaken my friend for someone else. We were both so shocked but the look on the bigger girl's face made me laugh and I looked down and my friend was lying on her back with her legs in the air with a stunned look on her face. I still laugh thinking aobut it. That was the most excitement we had in junior high until 9th grade.

My grandfather was a prankster, according to my aunt, and he spent his career as a forest ranger or camp manager. When he was young he worked at Yosemite on the crew that explored and set up where the roads and campgrounds would be. The workers lived in tents and the guys in his tent had adopted a baby skunk. Another guy had brought a bear skin rug for the ground in the tent. One evening my grandfather took the rug and hid, then when it got dark he crawled towards the tent like a bear. When he opened the flap the skunk sprayed him in the face. A guard skunk. :p

My grandfather also helped explore Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and because he was smaller he was the one who was lowered down into the caverns to see if they would be good to open to the tourists or if they were safe for the scientists to explore. One time they lowered him down to a cavern that was deeper than they though. When the guys with the ropes thought he should have his feet on the ground they waited for him to give the signal. His feet were a foot above a pool of water and he shouted "Whoa!". They thought he said "Let Go" so they dropped the rope. Luckily the water wasn't very deep.

This is not very polite, but still makes me laugh. I went to parochial school for six years, then my folks let me go to public middle school. O blessed relief from those mean nuns!

One day I was walking home from public school. I had stopped at 7-11 for a Pepsi, and drank it as I continued towards home. As I passed my old parochial school, I let out a very loud belch, as if to celebrate my freedom. A nun ran to an open window, and angrily slammed it shut. I can still see her wrinkled scowling face!
Sorry Debi, I didn't realize your friend is a nun. I'm sure they are much nicer these days!

Reactions: Selectric and Lynne
Sorry Debi, I didn't realize your friend is a nun. I'm sure they are much nicer these days!
Do the nuns still teach at parochial schools? I remember stories similar to yours from kids I went to high school with who had gone 1st to 8th at the local catholic school. The nuns were mean and abusive. It is a different world now, so I am sure they can't treat the kids the way they did then. Of course, I am old enough to remember the principal at public school was allowed to "spank" the children with a board if they misbehaved.

Do the nuns still teach at parochial schools? I remember stories similar to yours from kids I went to high school with who had gone 1st to 8th at the local catholic school. The nuns were mean and abusive. It is a different world now, so I am sure they can't treat the kids the way they did then. Of course, I am old enough to remember the principal at public school was allowed to "spank" the children with a board if they misbehaved.
I remember the public schools using a paddle, I was socked then and now that that was ever allowed. Now I am not against a well deserved spanking by a loving parent but not by anyone else.

I remember the public schools using a paddle, I was socked then and now that that was ever allowed. Now I am not against a well deserved spanking by a loving parent but not by anyone else.
When my daughter was in kindergarten we moved from New Mexico, where the parent had to sign a form giving permission for the principal to spank their child, to Texas, where the teacher was allowed to spank the children in front of the rest of the class. Parents had to fill out a form to not allow any spanking by anyone at school. I didn't know this until my daughter came home traumatized because the teacher spanked a boy in class with a paddle. I called the school the next day furious and found out the rules. I went that day and filled out the forms for both my duaghters. I can't even imagine a kindergarten teacher having a discipline problem that can't be resolved in some other manner.