Record breaking heat in UK

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Reactions: ozentity

I do hate the heat.

Reactions: ozentity
I guess that it is sort of whatever you are used to. I was raised where the heat was in the high 90s F but what made it such a killer was that it was matched by always having nearly 100% humidity. When you sweated you were just wet and hot. It wouldn't evaporate and cool you off. We were near the coast and surrounded by water from rivers and swamps.

When we would go to visit my Grandparents it would be in the 115 area and to me it was NCE. If you could find a little shade you would get cooled off fast as the sweat evaporated. Even when you worked in the fields, as long as you could drink plenty of water, it would feel nice with just a little bit of wind.

My cousins, when they came down to visit, would just be smothered by the heat and humidity. LOL Part of the problem was that they dressed differently than me. When you live in that sort of wet heat you wear as little as possible. I was a chocolate brown bean and wore only cut-off jeans. No shirt and no underwear. I sweated and the cotton clothes got wet and would just stay wet so you don't want to wear a lot.

Skin is an amazing thing. Once I got my tan I was almost impervious to the heat and the sun. I worked in the rice fields in the summer for several years and don't remember it as all that bad. I would sweat and then a breeze would come along and cool me off. Another sort of nice thing about the rice fields is that they all have canals connected to them and I would jump in one every chance I got.

Where I live now is sort of hot in the summer but the humidity is so low that to me it isn't bad. My home is on 3 wooded acres and is just mostly nice and quiet. It is open enough to let the breeze through but the tall older trees allow it to be open at ground level. I'm about a mile and a half from the boat launch into the river at the top of Lake Livingston and fish a lot.

I guess that it is sort of whatever you are used to. I was raised where the heat was in the high 90s F but what made it such a killer was that it was matched by always having nearly 100% humidity. When you sweated you were just wet and hot. It wouldn't evaporate and cool you off. We were near the coast and surrounded by water from rivers and swamps.

When we would go to visit my Grandparents it would be in the 115 area and to me it was NCE. If you could find a little shade you would get cooled off fast as the sweat evaporated. Even when you worked in the fields, as long as you could drink plenty of water, it would feel nice with just a little bit of wind.

My cousins, when they came down to visit, would just be smothered by the heat and humidity. LOL Part of the problem was that they dressed differently than me. When you live in that sort of wet heat you wear as little as possible. I was a chocolate brown bean and wore only cut-off jeans. No shirt and no underwear. I sweated and the cotton clothes got wet and would just stay wet so you don't want to wear a lot.

Skin is an amazing thing. Once I got my tan I was almost impervious to the heat and the sun. I worked in the rice fields in the summer for several years and don't remember it as all that bad. I would sweat and then a breeze would come along and cool me off. Another sort of nice thing about the rice fields is that they all have canals connected to them and I would jump in one every chance I got.

Where I live now is sort of hot in the summer but the humidity is so low that to me it isn't bad. My home is on 3 wooded acres and is just mostly nice and quiet. It is open enough to let the breeze through but the tall older trees allow it to be open at ground level. I'm about a mile and a half from the boat launch into the river at the top of Lake Livingston and fish a lot.
I'm used to living in high temps too but the sun burns more now Tex.

Reactions: Paulm and Selectric
It really does seem like the weather patterns are changing, it is a bit scary but hopefully we will adapt. We are probably just in an earth cycle.