Reality check

I am reminded of the time when I was a child, and my mother would send me to the store for something or other. Every time I left the house, this little girl would come running after me, taunting, insulting, and shoving me. When I told my mother that I was afraid to go out for fear of meeting this kid, she advised me that the next time that she showed up, that I should ask her what was wrong. I was puzzled, but decided to try it. So the next time this girl started her negativity, I asked her what was wrong. To my amazement, she immediately started venting about problems at her home, and after that she was friendly, and always wanted to walk me to the store.

Ohh wow that is amazing

Reactions: garnetsilver
When I told my mother that I was afraid to go out for fear of meeting this kid, she advised me that the next time that she showed up, that I should ask her what was wrong. I was puzzled, but decided to try it.
You had a lot of faith in your mother's advice. And it worked. Were you ever able to apply this same lesson to encounters with other negative people?

Reactions: garnetsilver
You had a lot of faith in your mother's advice. And it worked. Were you ever able to apply this same lesson to encounters with other negative people?
Oh, yes! It works nearly every time, and prevents me from losing my temper sometimes. I tend to get impatient with people, especially when they are being rude or unfair, (must be getting older that does it) so if I even think to myself, (I wonder what's going on in that person's life) it helps to keep cool.