Realistic view of "AI"

I appreciate the myth busting, but I am still not totally convinced something else may not be going on.

Reactions: Lynne
I appreciate the myth busting, but I am still not totally convinced something else may not be going on.
I'm a really hard sell when it comes to AI, Ronin! lol

Pr yeah not likely

I'm a really hard sell when it comes to AI, Ronin! lol
You have to understand, clever engineers mean you get clever results from a system - any system, not just a computer. But systems do not iterate by themselves. I have systems that can pull all sorts of information and trends out of data sets too large for humans to consume, but they are limited by how the questions are asked of them. I work in a manufacturing industry, so no matter how sophisticated my fault detection systems become, they aren't going to suddenly decide they need to refine pitching techniques in baseball. The systems are limited by what sort of inputs they understand and what sorts of outputs they are given. That last is key.

From Randall Munroe (of XKCD):

Our biggest robots are the ones found in factories-but those are bolted to the floor. While they're dangerous if you happen to within arm’s reach, what would they do once everyone fled? All they can really do is assemble things. Half of them would probably try to attack us by not assembling things, and half by assembling more things. The end result would be no real change.

Of course, that's not to say militaries might not have something more sophisticated, but those things are still only designed to perform certain very specific tasks. And if you want to know what the big commercial companies are like, you can actually go play with their systems yourself. The actual danger with those systems isn't what they might think, but how they operate as always listening devices.

I'm not trying to convince you to drop what I consider a healthy does of paranoia, but to channel it away from a narrow, unlikely arena into a more broad, realistic threat: privacy and data retention.

Reactions: Paintman
You have to understand, clever engineers mean you get clever results from a system - any system, not just a computer. But systems do not iterate by themselves. I have systems that can pull all sorts of information and trends out of data sets too large for humans to consume, but they are limited by how the questions are asked of them. I work in a manufacturing industry, so no matter how sophisticated my fault detection systems become, they aren't going to suddenly decide they need to refine pitching techniques in baseball. The systems are limited by what sort of inputs they understand and what sorts of outputs they are given. That last is key.

From Randall Munroe (of XKCD):

Our biggest robots are the ones found in factories-but those are bolted to the floor. While they're dangerous if you happen to within arm’s reach, what would they do once everyone fled? All they can really do is assemble things. Half of them would probably try to attack us by not assembling things, and half by assembling more things. The end result would be no real change.

Of course, that's not to say militaries might not have something more sophisticated, but those things are still only designed to perform certain very specific tasks. And if you want to know what the big commercial companies are like, you can actually go play with their systems yourself. The actual danger with those systems isn't what they might think, but how they operate as always listening devices.

I'm not trying to convince you to drop what I consider a healthy does of paranoia, but to channel it away from a narrow, unlikely arena into a more broad, realistic threat: privacy and data retention.
I sincerely can't believe nobody has called out my atrocious spelling this week. Not that it isn't always bad, given my barely literate status, but I seem to have gone the extra mile lately.

Reactions: Lynne
I sincerely can't believe nobody has called out my atrocious spelling this week. Not that it isn't always bad, given my barely literate status, but I seem to have gone the extra mile lately.
1) you can later edit / correct your post spellings should you desire
2) The PNF has no grammar police
3) we love you just the way you are

Reactions: Debi
We all do it