Real books or e-books?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I've had a life long love affair with books and reading. I love to feel them, hold them and even smell them. I swore I would never, ever go to e-book reading because it just wouldn't be the same.....and yet, it has happened. It has become a challenge to find a good bookstore for one, and my own impatience to have a certain book NOW has taken over and my Kindle has become my go to source for my reading.

What is your preference? And have you fallen into the "trap" of instant gratification by e-book?

300-Year-Old Library Chamber In Dublin Has The Most Books You'll Ever See - Forgot To Think

300-Year-Old-Library3.jpg

I like both. I still have tons of books from my school days.. Stored at my parents. I like the cheap self published kindle books and free classics. For authors I really like I'll order the book. And no creasing the spine!

I like both. Digital books are faster to read but it's been proven that a person cannot recall what they've read nearly as well when the information was obtained through a digital book.

I also once tried digital comic books... but when they are the same freaking price as a physical copy—the physical copy wins.

Reactions: Debi
it's been proven that a person cannot recall what they've read nearly as well when the information was obtained through a digital book.
I was not aware of that. I do know I kind of glaze over at times while reading on Kindle.

I've had a life long love affair with books and reading. I love to feel them, hold them and even smell them. I swore I would never, ever go to e-book reading because it just wouldn't be the same.....and yet, it has happened. It has become a challenge to find a good bookstore for one, and my own impatience to have a certain book NOW has taken over and my Kindle has become my go to source for my reading.

What is your preference? And have you fallen into the "trap" of instant gratification by e-book?

300-Year-Old Library Chamber In Dublin Has The Most Books You'll Ever See - Forgot To Think

300-Year-Old-Library3.jpg
I do the same things with books. I love the smell of the pages. I thought I was the only one who put my nose in a book lol. I prefer a book over an E book every time.

it's been proven that a person cannot recall what they've read nearly as well when the information was obtained through a digital book.

I was not aware of that. I do know I kind of glaze over at times while reading on Kindle.

I can believe this. You do use more senses when reading a paper-bound book; touching paper, hearing page turns, smell as many have pointed out. After cluttering the house with books for years, I now mostly acquire and read digitally.

Good topic, Debi

Reactions: Bob Bain
i agree some times a paper book is needed..
It really is.
Though when I do research for a guest, if the guest has a book on Amazon for the Kindle I try and grab a Kindle Unlimited copy (if available). I can speed read through a book on the iPad. I can't do the same on a real book. I'd say it has to do with the larger format of the iPad. I've even tried it on the Kindle (eReader) and I can't replicate the reading speed that I get from the iPad.