Rambling thoughts on time and distance

Ronin

Recall my name, on your journey to hell.
Reaction score
[Header]

A couple of decades ago, I was a staff member of theshadowlands.net. During that time, I wrote a monthly column, which generally had some fairly well-collected thoughts about a particular aspect of the paranormal, sometimes including my own experiences to illustrate both what I meant and why I approached a topic the way I did. They were all well and good, and some have even aged fairly well, but I also had a number of ideas that never really gelled enough to write about, or that had gelled extremely well but I lacked enough specialized knowledge to reconcile with competing observations and information. I more or less filed them away, as I stopped looking into the paranormal entirely and therefore didn’t have any way to ever improve them.

Two years ago, I started listening to various horror channels on YouTube. One thing several readers do is to compile stories from Reddit and other forums and present themed reading of people’s stories. Most of these are not paranormal, but rather terrifying things that have happened to them. Nevertheless, a fair number of shows are out there with purely paranormal themes, and I happened to listen to a great many of them while building things in Minecraft. That eventually led me to start thinking about old things again, and then to this very forum.

The community here is vastly different from the shadowlands. Back then, there wasn’t much to be gained from rambling on with half-finished ideas, but it occurred to me yesterday that this community has enough diversity of thought and experience that it would be at least interesting to see what the community thought of some of my ramblings.

Note: This isn’t a knock on theshadowlands. The staff there was (and probably is) fantastic. It was just a different environment compared to this one.

[/Header]

The concept of time travel bothers me. A lot. We’re moving through space at a hell of a clip. The Earth turns at about 1,000 mph. We’re orbiting the sun at about 67,000 mph. We’re shooting through space as a stellar system at about 43,000 mph. And as you increase the view scale, you see more and more movement – orbiting the galactic core, moving through the local group, the local cluster, super cluster, etc. All that speed though space is linked to the passage of time. We not only know this theoretically, we were able to calculate it with the astronauts who went to the moon.

So let’s talk time travel. There are schools of thought pro and con. To me, the issue isn’t traveling through time, but traveling through space. I’m going to look at it through the lens of going to get the mail. For the sake of nice, round numbers, let’s say my walk from the front door to the mailbox is 100 feet. Walking at about 3mph, it’ll take around 23 second to get there. I take 4 seconds to pop the door open and grab the mail (not lingering because I know the driving habits of the people around here), and another 23 seconds to get back to the front door. So in 50 seconds I got back to my starting point, right?

Nope. Because in those 50 seconds:

· The earth rotated such that I’m actually 73,350 feet (13.9 MILES) from where I started
· The Earth moved around the sun 4,913,300 feet (930.5 MILES)
· The entire solar system moved 3,153,350 feet (597 MILES)
· And so on

So if I were able to move back in time 50 seconds, I would also have to move about 1500 miles in space to be at the same coordinates where I stated. 50 seconds. That’s less than a minute. When people talk time travel, it’s often in much larger increments of time. Want to go back in time to kill Hitler as he read his rejection from the Vienna School of Fine Arts in 1907? Well, it’s not just the time bridge you’d need to cross, but you’d need to find a way to move well in excess of 106 billion miles to get to the proper location in space. We can reach any point on the Earth’s surface in a 24-hour time window only if we leverage the resources of a nation such as the US, and with a substantial amount of lead time and preparation – and that’s moving with the normal, forward flow of time. So with that in mind, perhaps plenty of people have invented a way to move through time, only to find themselves helpless in the cold near-vacuum of space.

Except that line of reasoning is not compatible with observations made right here on Earth.

I’m quite certain every regular on this site has read about stories from people who have seen past events play out before them. Civil War sites in the US in particular have a common history of this type of phenomenon. Beyond that, nearly everyone has experienced déjà vu. I’ve been able to accurately narrate entire series of events, as they happened, in front of groups of people from dreams I’d had previously months or years before. Statistically speaking, I can hardly be unique in that regard, as there are many historical tales or people making accurate predictions of specific events many years or lifetimes ahead of their occurrence.

So that bothers me. I'm obviously not an expert in any of the fields of study that would be required to piece these things together, but I'm also not intellectually lazy enough to simply dismiss all of these things as flights of fancy and coincidence. I have an idea that this is directly related to the concept of perception, as in we don't have the ability to [yet] to perceive some fundamental things about our universe, so we can't hope to build an accurate model of what's truly around us.

I do hate to leave it at that, though. But then, the title says it all, these are rambling thoughts, not finished ones. Perhaps not even very well organized ones.

But at any rate, what could you folks add or subtract from these?

I think first you have to define what time even is. , does "time" actually even exist as an actual entity, or is it just a measurement constructed by man to link what is basically just memories, im not a physicist by a long shot, lol, but even they can't explain " time" or the rules or laws its confined to...some believe wormholes exist that could transport from one pointe to another. Does that mean that true galactic travel is timeless, that if we reach that level we are no longer hindered by our understandings of time, or is it that our understanding is still on a very primitive level....right now our measurement of time is not very good, hence leap years and daylight savings time, all manmade to fit our needs, but true time cannot be manipulated in such a way. Or if everything started with the big bang, then everything is expanding at the same rate of speed, does that even have an effect. Or does it somehow equal out. If the universe has been here for billions of years and man has only been here for what amounts to just a few seconds of that, how can we even pretend to know we understand something as complex as time itself.

EDITED TO ADD, I have no understanding whatsoever of these principles, these are just my feeble ramblings at 3 am.

As you know, I'm not all that science based, but I do find this fascinating. I'm going to throw in a few observations here in a pre-coffee state. :eek:

I’m quite certain every regular on this site has read about stories from people who have seen past events play out before them. Civil War sites in the US in particular have a common history of this type of phenomenon.
I don't see this as part of the "time" issue, as I believe we have found these to be "recordings" that play over and over. The intensity of emotional energy has somehow embedded this into either the rock/stone/earth itself, in my opinion. Now, we can ask what triggers this for replay, but it may be a phenom not actually associated with time. Like a movie or film, it may simply be a piece of time caught for future review.

Beyond that, nearly everyone has experienced déjà vu.
Here is truly where I see time being of import. Now, if all time is running at once and it's only our "perceptions" in this world that gives time it's reality, then this would let us look at non-local reality to receive these images of future time. If we are reaching beyond that time construct into a non-local reality that is aware of all time events, we could conceivably have access to that information in advance.

OK, now I need coffee and see if after I drink it if my thoughts were conveyed in any type of understandable form. lol

Last edited:
Oh I also meant to add, concerning the travel through space part.....as a system overall we at traveling at the rate of the big bang, light speed, give or take a few mph for slowing...lol....but it is theorized that travel at that speed slows or stops time altogether, therefore negating the actual existence of time altogether, except that as a manmade construct...again just for our own purpose......time doesn't exist...at least not the way we understand it.... I kinda lean towards Debis statement of all time playing out at once.

Here is truly where I see time being of import. Now, if all time is running at once and it's only our "perceptions" in this world that gives time it's reality, then this would let us look at non-local reality to receive these images of future time If we are reaching beyond that time construct into a non-local reality that is aware of all time events, we could conceivably have access to that information in advance.

OK, now I need coffee and see if after I drink it if my thoughts were conveyed in any type of understandable form. lol
Right, if all time is running at once then premonitions could just be glimpses into another reality / alternate universe, would also explain the ever so slight differences in visions and what actually materializes from them.....does that even make sence...lol...i need sleep, or a lot of coffee....lol

Right, if all time is running at once then premonitions could just be glimpses into another reality / alternate universe, would also explain the ever so slight differences in visions and what actually materializes from them.....does that even make sence...lol...i need sleep, or a lot of coffee....lol
Yes, that's how I see it, and also accounts for the free will variables that occur. If, in this time line, we vary a free will choice, the vision or prophecy changes and may not occur at all. What was foreseen may actually at one time been in this time line and then with a choice we vary that and poof...change of scenery.

Not sure who on here is religious or not and if not not pushing my views on no one so if I offended anyone I apologize.
In my opinion and belief man created time, why would the Lord need to know what time it is? Time is nothing for the universe.

Second the Lord made us and which why devil real name in the Bible Morning Star, hates humans because we got a soul peice of the lord in us.
We all have the ability to do unbelievable things! Jesus said if you want that mountain to move move it. We just have not been able to tap into that ability, or in my opinion Lord won't allow us to.
Think of time travel as deja vu
I myself had it few times, you go to a place you never been before but to remember being there.
Is it because
1 past life?
2. O.B.E (outer body experience)
3 did we somehow in our sleep stage when we are more relaxed we traveled in time without knowing it?
Is time travel just when we are awake? Or could it be asleep.
Time travel has always fascinated me. I have seen shows were there are pictures of people on cell phones, wearing clothes from different years .
And proved that they were not messed with or anything.
That is what is awesome about this universe so many mysteries we have yet to discover.
Sorry about the rambling.

[Header]

A couple of decades ago, I was a staff member of theshadowlands.net. During that time, I wrote a monthly column, which generally had some fairly well-collected thoughts about a particular aspect of the paranormal, sometimes including my own experiences to illustrate both what I meant and why I approached a topic the way I did. They were all well and good, and some have even aged fairly well, but I also had a number of ideas that never really gelled enough to write about, or that had gelled extremely well but I lacked enough specialized knowledge to reconcile with competing observations and information. I more or less filed them away, as I stopped looking into the paranormal entirely and therefore didn’t have any way to ever improve them.

Two years ago, I started listening to various horror channels on YouTube. One thing several readers do is to compile stories from Reddit and other forums and present themed reading of people’s stories. Most of these are not paranormal, but rather terrifying things that have happened to them. Nevertheless, a fair number of shows are out there with purely paranormal themes, and I happened to listen to a great many of them while building things in Minecraft. That eventually led me to start thinking about old things again, and then to this very forum.

The community here is vastly different from the shadowlands. Back then, there wasn’t much to be gained from rambling on with half-finished ideas, but it occurred to me yesterday that this community has enough diversity of thought and experience that it would be at least interesting to see what the community thought of some of my ramblings.

Note: This isn’t a knock on theshadowlands. The staff there was (and probably is) fantastic. It was just a different environment compared to this one.

[/Header]

The concept of time travel bothers me. A lot. We’re moving through space at a hell of a clip. The Earth turns at about 1,000 mph. We’re orbiting the sun at about 67,000 mph. We’re shooting through space as a stellar system at about 43,000 mph. And as you increase the view scale, you see more and more movement – orbiting the galactic core, moving through the local group, the local cluster, super cluster, etc. All that speed though space is linked to the passage of time. We not only know this theoretically, we were able to calculate it with the astronauts who went to the moon.

So let’s talk time travel. There are schools of thought pro and con. To me, the issue isn’t traveling through time, but traveling through space. I’m going to look at it through the lens of going to get the mail. For the sake of nice, round numbers, let’s say my walk from the front door to the mailbox is 100 feet. Walking at about 3mph, it’ll take around 23 second to get there. I take 4 seconds to pop the door open and grab the mail (not lingering because I know the driving habits of the people around here), and another 23 seconds to get back to the front door. So in 50 seconds I got back to my starting point, right?

Nope. Because in those 50 seconds:

· The earth rotated such that I’m actually 73,350 feet (13.9 MILES) from where I started
· The Earth moved around the sun 4,913,300 feet (930.5 MILES)
· The entire solar system moved 3,153,350 feet (597 MILES)
· And so on

So if I were able to move back in time 50 seconds, I would also have to move about 1500 miles in space to be at the same coordinates where I stated. 50 seconds. That’s less than a minute. When people talk time travel, it’s often in much larger increments of time. Want to go back in time to kill Hitler as he read his rejection from the Vienna School of Fine Arts in 1907? Well, it’s not just the time bridge you’d need to cross, but you’d need to find a way to move well in excess of 106 billion miles to get to the proper location in space. We can reach any point on the Earth’s surface in a 24-hour time window only if we leverage the resources of a nation such as the US, and with a substantial amount of lead time and preparation – and that’s moving with the normal, forward flow of time. So with that in mind, perhaps plenty of people have invented a way to move through time, only to find themselves helpless in the cold near-vacuum of space.

Except that line of reasoning is not compatible with observations made right here on Earth.

I’m quite certain every regular on this site has read about stories from people who have seen past events play out before them. Civil War sites in the US in particular have a common history of this type of phenomenon. Beyond that, nearly everyone has experienced déjà vu. I’ve been able to accurately narrate entire series of events, as they happened, in front of groups of people from dreams I’d had previously months or years before. Statistically speaking, I can hardly be unique in that regard, as there are many historical tales or people making accurate predictions of specific events many years or lifetimes ahead of their occurrence.

So that bothers me. I'm obviously not an expert in any of the fields of study that would be required to piece these things together, but I'm also not intellectually lazy enough to simply dismiss all of these things as flights of fancy and coincidence. I have an idea that this is directly related to the concept of perception, as in we don't have the ability to [yet] to perceive some fundamental things about our universe, so we can't hope to build an accurate model of what's truly around us.

I do hate to leave it at that, though. But then, the title says it all, these are rambling thoughts, not finished ones. Perhaps not even very well organized ones.

But at any rate, what could you folks add or subtract from these?
I recently started getting into the redit reads on youtube chilling tales for dark nights and lets read among others are good. I have been working on a story for ten years I just need help with the wording I was talking to Jason Hill about it he said if and when I get it edited he can proofread it but I really am not looking forward to it so much as I thought it still has a lot of holes in it and I dont want to mess it up because the real story is much stranger than most fiction I can come up with. I can relate to a lot of the fiction tales like the Pill Mills because there is a lot of truth to them because of the state of mind that person must have been in even though it was delusional it was real to him at that particular time.
Sometimes being the dark one shows you the light that you have missed out on and maybe then you see things for what they really are. Something to that effect anyway.

Reactions: Donna K. and Paulm