Question regarding residual hauntings.

So what are some event that we should agree would not be part of a residual haunting?

For example, I think we might agree that “seeing a ghost” visibly would be within the realm of a residual haunting as might the distinct sound of footsteps.

So, would a heavy door unlatching and opening apparently on its own be part of a residual haunting?

So what are some event that we should agree would not be part of a residual haunting?

For example, I think we might agree that “seeing a ghost” visibly would be within the realm of a residual haunting as might the distinct sound of footsteps.

So, would a heavy door unlatching and opening apparently on its own be part of a residual haunting?
It can be. I think it's going to be dependent upon seeing intelligence. Most residuals seem to be fairly apparant in that they repeat so much you can predict them. Like 4 steps down the hall at midnight....door opens and closes without door moving visibly, etc. Most of the time no physical movement of objects is seen during these, but that is something I can't confirm as an "always".

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
OK so here's a question for this topic..... A residual haunting is a playback from a traumatic event embedded in the environment....stone. Structure, water...so on and so on......so, could that also theoretically happen with the living....could something tramatic happen and imprint on the surroundings without you dying...could you possibly be haunting yourself....

OK so here's a question for this topic..... A residual haunting is a playback from a traumatic event embedded in the environment....stone. Structure, water...so on and so on......so, could that also theoretically happen with the living....could something tramatic happen and imprint on the surroundings without you dying...could you possibly be haunting yourself....
Good question. My first instinct would be to say any energy strong enough could embed. And I think that even if it doesn't do a "haunting", think of some places that we talk about being "embedded" with good energy? Walk into most churches and you will feel a different energy within than you do outside. Some homes you walk into just excude a good feeling....then there are others that you can't get out of the place fast enough!

Good question. My first instinct would be to say any energy strong enough could embed. And I think that even if it doesn't do a "haunting", think of some places that we talk about being "embedded" with good energy? Walk into most churches and you will feel a different energy within than you do outside. Some homes you walk into just excude a good feeling....then there are others that you can't get out of the place fast enough!
I agree with the homes having a good or bad vibe, but that can be just picking up the energy of the owners...not necessarily embedded....churches I think you have a pre programmed idea of how you want or should feel... I wonder if a true atheist feels anything spiritual in a church....hmmm...anyways....I'm wondering much deeper...could you actually impact an actual action such as running down a hall or slamming a door or crying in so much that you yourself could experience this as a haunting....if this is actually possible then can it still be or should it even be called or even thought of as a haunting....

I agree with the homes having a good or bad vibe, but that can be just picking up the energy of the owners...not necessarily embedded....churches I think you have a pre programmed idea of how you want or should feel... I wonder if a true atheist feels anything spiritual in a church....hmmm...anyways....I'm wondering much deeper...could you actually impact an actual action such as running down a hall or slamming a door or crying in so much that you yourself could experience this as a haunting....if this is actually possible then can it still be or should it even be called or even thought of as a haunting....
OK, this one will require brain cells that are already half asleep in this bird. lol Let me think on that one!

Reactions: Paulm
OK so here's a question for this topic.........could something tramatic happen and imprint on the surroundings without you dying.....

Why yes of course.
If residual energy is created by experiencing a traumatic event, it automatically follows; one has to be living, in order to experience that event.
All residual energy is created by the living.

I encourage folk, not to automatically assume residual energy has to be created by traumatic events. Happy, inspiring events also make their impressions.
There are many places that possess wonderful atmospheres, so much so, that folk will go back to them time and time again, because of their healing effect.

You have just asked the question that I would pose as a question or a possibility too Paulm.

Traditionally - and through popular culture - we think of a haunting as involving a dead person (or entity or demon).
So if residual hauntings are kind of like a recording of past activities, then it might be reasonable to suspect that many of those are recordings of living persons’ activities (maybe the most emotion laden kinds).

My recent musing is that, when the recording environmentals are right, residual haunting should then be created at just about any time...even very happy times. We probably should be hearing about more than creaking doors, phantom footsteps, and faint crying.

One thing I’d hate to experience is a residual replaying of domestic violence - even just the yelling would be worrisome to me.

I like the idea of haunting yourself. I don’t know if that was intended to be a rhetorical question or not but I’ll bite regardless. My own position (presently) is that the more in tune one is with their psychic self, the higher the likelihood a person is to visibly or audibly experience haunting. Jumping way ahead conceptually, even though we might be at times creating new residual haunting recordings, we might not be experiencing their replay because...being very used to our own personal energies we would tend to unconsciously ignore a replay of our own energies. Think of how you quickly stop attending to (aka, consciously recognizing) a new scented candle or scented plug-in air freshener. I’m suggesting we have long ago stopped paying attention consciously to the pattern or frequency of our own energy. But step into a place with the unfamiliar recorded energies of someone else and bingo residual playback is more likely to be recognized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulm
I encourage folk, not to automatically assume residual energy has to be created by traumatic events. Happy, inspiring events also make their impressions.
There are many places that possess wonderful atmospheres, so much so, that folk will go back to them time and time again, because of their healing effect.

Yes to dat! That is a great explanation for what I’ve been recently considering to be likely.

Why yes of course.
If residual energy is created by experiencing a traumatic event, it automatically follows; one has to be living, in order to experience that event.
All residual energy is created by the living.

yes energy is created by the living, but I think that the common belief of residual hauntings are caused by a tragic event that involves the death of someone.... im just trying to look at this from a different angle....expanding the idea a little.