Question regarding residual hauntings.

WitchAndShaman

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Hello PNF Crew,

I don't know why but I feel essentially compelled to post this question. I don't intend it to be rhetorical so I hope I word it correctly to elicit the right kind of inputs.

Many members of the PNF have been able to help other members and visitors with issues relating to intelligent hauntings, possessions, attachments, menacing entities, etc. It seems that our members have personal experience with and/or knowledge of how to combat these things.

Does anyone have any input on how to combat a residual haunting? This question assumes that the haunting is not being caused by a single discernible object which might be easily removed from the premises.

I have looked into this a bit awhile back, and to my knowledge there is no "off" button. It's a good question, as in some homes this is an ongoing issue! One of the problems is we don't even understand what triggers the playback. I'd love to hear any theories out there.

I personally don't think of residual phenomena as hauntings.
I also think the word "combat" does not apply, because it implies meeting with resistance.

This sort of phenomena is usually created by emotion, so one way to neutralise it would be to flood the area with an opposite emotion, equal to the power that initially caused it.

Needless to say, it would take a mind with a high degree of concentration ability, to pull such a feat off.

It means getting to know the energy and discovering a way to understand it and harmonise with it.

Once one's energy is moving at the same vibration as that of the residual phenomena, it's easy to manipulate.
Just as an automobile's direction is easy to change, once it is in motion.

Reactions: WitchAndShaman
One of my sayings here is not to get boxed in by semantics when discussing the paranormal. So, Haunting or not, the activity itself exists and often acts as a haunting would...scaring people when first encountered. And it does appear to be someone's energy/emotions trapped and replayed, that I agree with you.

Now, Cass, you make this sound very "easy to manipulate". Ever actually done it with a residual? Because I'm thinking most people aren't going to find that easy to do at Gettysburg, one of the more famous residual "hauntings". Your theory is interesting, although as I see it very impractical for most people.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to really combat a residual haunting. For all intents and purposes it's simply a recording. Combating a residual is as ineffective as yelling at the screen during a movie. Nothing you say or do is going to have any effect because there is no intelligence there.

The most obvious step is to simply remove whatever item contains the stored energy, but this isn't that simply as it could be multiple items or even the location itself. Imagine an old abandoned prison being full of residual activity, everything from the limestone foundation to the iron work found throughout the entire building make it impossible to locate any one source of energy.

The best way to deal with this is for those experiencing such activity to understand what is happening. It's certainly unnerving, but residual hauntings can not harm or even interact with us. At best just catalog any activity for reference. If for example the residual is a woman in white with red hair walking down the stairs case then this can be shared as something to be expected. It might be a bit scary but it won't be unknown. This will also help if there ever happens to be non residual activity, such as if the woman in white stops halfway, looks around the room and then goes back up the stairs. This would be evidence that something else my be happening.

Since a residual is just a playback of stored energy it should eventually stop on it's own over time as that energy gets depleted.

I personally don't think of residual phenomena as hauntings.
I also think the word "combat" does not apply, because it implies meeting with resistance.

This sort of phenomena is usually created by emotion, so one way to neutralise it would be to flood the area with an opposite emotion, equal to the power that initially caused it.

Needless to say, it would take a mind with a high degree of concentration ability, to pull such a feat off.

It means getting to know the energy and discovering a way to understand it and harmonise with it.

Once one's energy is moving at the same vibration as that of the residual phenomena, it's easy to manipulate.
Just as an automobile's direction is easy to change, once it is in motion.

often acts as a haunting would...scaring people when first encountered.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to really combat a residual haunting. For all intents and purposes it's simply a recording. Combating a residual is as ineffective as yelling at the screen during a movie. Nothing you say or do is going to have any effect because there is no intelligence there.

The most obvious step is to simply remove whatever item contains the stored energy, but this isn't that simply as it could be multiple items or even the location itself. Imagine an old abandoned prison being full of residual activity, everything from the limestone foundation to the iron work found throughout the entire building make it impossible to locate any one source of energy.

The best way to deal with this is for those experiencing such activity to understand what is happening. It's certainly unnerving, but residual hauntings can not harm or even interact with us. At best just catalog any activity for reference. If for example the residual is a woman in white with red hair walking down the stairs case then this can be shared as something to be expected. It might be a bit scary but it won't be unknown. This will also help if there ever happens to be non residual activity, such as if the woman in white stops halfway, looks around the room and then goes back up the stairs. This would be evidence that something else my be happening.

Since a residual is just a playback of stored energy it should eventually stop on it's own over time as that energy gets depleted.

I really love what all three of you have posted. It represents the need for a better definition for this phenomena; and, reinforces the expectation that we might not be able to counter the occurrences like we have implied we can with intelligent entities.

I think you are correct Cass that if we can identify the frequency the residual phenomena is operating on, then maybe there is a chance to "erase" the recordings.

I'm now fascinated and wonder if I might have a new calling..."Residual Busters - I'm afraid of no ghostsTM"! :microphone: :ghost:

Reactions: garnetsilver
Some years ago, while attending to some administration;
I turned around and was surprised to see a man standing just five feet from me.
After a few seconds, he simply vanished into a leather coat, laying over a chair.

I dismissed the incident as just some residual energy because the coat was not mine.
Later I learned the coat had belonged to a man that had just left for a trip to America.

Later when that man returned, I met him, and yes, it was the same man'.

It makes you wonder, some folk swear in court, that they saw so and so in that place at that time; Did they really? or were they seeing only their energy?

Some years ago, while attending to some administration;
I turned around and was surprised to see a man standing just five feet from me.
After a few seconds, he simply vanished into a leather coat, laying over a chair.

I dismissed the incident as just some residual energy because the coat was not mine.
Later I learned the coat had belonged to a man that had just left for a trip to America.

Later when that man returned, I met him, and yes, it was the same man'.

It makes you wonder, some folk swear in court, that they saw so and so in that place at that time; Did they really? or were they seeing only their energy?

Sounds surprisingly similar to psycometry - but without (as you seemed to describe) physically touching of the object. "Residual haunting" of the coat.

Yes, WandS; spontaneous Psychometry,
That's exactly how I see it too

Which is, per my 2018 musing, not a huge leap from the possible mechanism for a residual haunting. [Clearly though, one might be more mobile than the other.]

I’ve grown to suspect that ghostly sightings are significantly attributed to interpretation of info received psychically. Which also contributes to the reason that two people standing in the same room, facing the same direct may or may not both see a residual ghost.