Pyramid Hidden Chamber found

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Using advanced imaging technology, a team of archaeologists in Egypt have discovered an enormous empty space inside the Great Pyramid of Giza.

The astounding void measures nearly one hundred feet long and is being heralded as the most significant find from the legendary site in over a century.

Researchers managed to spot the chamber inside the structure by observing tiny particles called 'muons' as they washed over the structure and revealed the heretofore unseen room.

Within the confines of the pyramid, the chamber sits above an area known as the 'Grand Gallery' and appears to have been kept secret since the structure was constructed millennia ago.

As to what may be inside the void, archeologists concede that this remains a mystery, but they are hoping that experts may be able to advance some ideas after studying the data gleaned from the muon scans.

While the chance that the chamber contains treasures or perhaps something esoteric, like hidden ancient knowledge, is rather tantalizing, there is also the more mundane possibility that it is simply a structural design developed in the construction of the pyramid.

Unfortunately, it may be a while before we know the answer to what, if anything, is inside the space as the sacred status of the Great Pyramid makes a hands-on examination of the area particularly difficult.

With physically drilling into the area out of the question, the best bet for possibly accessing the chamber may be by way of a specially-designed robot which has only just begun being developed.

And so, for now, Egyptologists are left to speculate as to what the nature of the void might be and whether science can someday figure out a way to unravel the riddle without damaging the structure.

Should they pull off that feat, let's just hope that the final reveal doesn't resemble Al Capone's vault.

Source: The Guardian

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-egypt-archaeologist-criticises-pyramid-void.html

Scientists with the ScanPyramids project revealed on Thursday that the void discovered with subatomic particle scans was the first major structure found inside the pyramid since the 19th century.

It is thought to be at least 30 metres (98 feet) long and located above the "Grand Gallery"—a sloped corridor almost 50 metres long and nine metres high which links Khufu's burial chamber at the pyramid's centre to a tunnel leading outside.

The findings were published by the science journal Nature.

But Zahi Hawass, who heads the ScanPyramids science committee overseeing the project, said there was no new "discovery".

He said he had met other scientists from ScanPyramids who "showed us their conclusions, and we informed them this is not a discovery," he told AFP.

"The pyramid is full of voids and that does not mean there is a secret chamber or a new discovery," he said.

In a statement on Friday, the head of the government's antiquities council Mustafa Waziri also criticised the announcement.

"The project has to proceed in a scientific way that follows the steps of scientific research and its discussion before publication," he said.

The monument—139 metres high today, and 230 metres wide—was erected as a tomb for Khufu, also known as Cheops. To this day, nobody knows quite how it was built.

The void, said co-author Kunihiro Morishima from Nagoya University in Japan, "was not known by anyone until now, from when the pyramid was built 4,500 years ago".

"The big void is completely closed," he added, which means anything inside it would not have been "touched by anyone after the pyramid (was) built".

The pharaohs of ancient Egypt built these monumental tombs for themselves, complete with sarcophagus to hold their embalmed mummies, and stocked with everything they could require for the afterlife, including food, clothing and jewellery.

t:

Very cool. It would be great if they can find a way to view the inside of the chamber. Too bad Zahi Hawass is involved, as it may never happen unfortunately. :confused:
Very true , Hawass is totally a govt mouthpiece. I don’t believe it’s a tumb anyway. I think these things have another purpose. Perhaps a reactor for energy.

Very true , Hawass is totally a govt mouthpiece. I don’t believe it’s a tumb anyway. I think these things have another purpose. Perhaps a reactor for energy.
Another purpose makes sense, otherwise it's hard to imagine they went to all the effort and time to build them just as a testament to their ability to make them.

Reactions: Lynne and 7Critter
This is, as usual infuriating. Back in the day I read many books by Graham Hancock and others but became annoyed with the constant use of "so called experts" and the feeling that some people had watched too much Indiana Jones. However, in the intervening years, Zahi Hawass has been far worse and I'm really not surprised that conspiracy theories abound when the man in charge of Egyptian archaeology acts like somebody from a Dan Brown novel.

Like many, I was massively excited by the discovery of a new area at the end of one of the Great Pyramids shafts in the 90s. Has anything been done to investigate it? No! Hawass says it's nothing. Now there's this. He says it was known for decades that this void was there. Okay... by who? It's not in any of the literature that I've seen. It's certainly not on-line. Promoting even decades old knowledge of Ancient Egypt just doesn't seem to be a concern and all we ever get is the junior school know-it-all refrain of "yeah I knew that AGES ago but it's not important and you only think it is because you're dumb!"

Sorry, Graham Hancock. I still don't agree with most of your theories, but I take it all back about "so called experts".

This is, as usual infuriating. Back in the day I read many books by Graham Hancock and others but became annoyed with the constant use of "so called experts" and the feeling that some people had watched too much Indiana Jones. However, in the intervening years, Zahi Hawass has been far worse and I'm really not surprised that conspiracy theories abound when the man in charge of Egyptian archaeology acts like somebody from a Dan Brown novel.

Like many, I was massively excited by the discovery of a new area at the end of one of the Great Pyramids shafts in the 90s. Has anything been done to investigate it? No! Hawass says it's nothing. Now there's this. He says it was known for decades that this void was there. Okay... by who? It's not in any of the literature that I've seen. It's certainly not on-line. Promoting even decades old knowledge of Ancient Egypt just doesn't seem to be a concern and all we ever get is the junior school know-it-all refrain of "yeah I knew that AGES ago but it's not important and you only think it is because you're dumb!"

Sorry, Graham Hancock. I still don't agree with most of your theories, but I take it all back about "so called experts".
Well said. I totally agree about Hawass too. Every time I used to hear him on Coast to Coast when Snoory was a fan-boy I would just be angered and amazed that this buffoon was in charge of Egypt's treasures and what got out or remained secret at his pleasure.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I wish I knew what the whole story was here. Obviously the man answers to others and by his actions it seems that tourism and protecting the sites are the only goals and archaeology is an inconvenience to be discouraged, but the sheer level of obtuseness is astonishing. Do they know something big or is this just about bureaucracy and money? I have wondered if they found something truly impressive and don't want to face international pressure to excavate, causing damage to the pyramid when they can just carry on the way things are. Hawass is the public face but there have to be things going on behind him, whether mundane or astonishing.