Purification Grave

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvZHV0Y2gtZ3JhdmUvMTEzOTkzMS0xLWVuZy1VUy9EdXRjaC1HcmF2ZS5qcGc=

A Dutch university is offering a novel way for students to deal with stress.

Radboud University in Nijmegen, Holland is offering time in a freshly dug grave on campus as a way to help students reflect on life and put their problems in perspective. Located behind the student chapel, the grave currently has a waitlist that can last over a week. Minimum time in the grave is 30 minutes, but it can be booked for up to three hours. The catchphrase for the project is the Latin “memento mori” or, “remember, you will die.”

After her experience, one student said, “When you think about death, you automatically also think about life. That is because you realize that life isn’t endless and that we are all going to die at one point. It makes you think about what do I want to do in life, and what do I think is the most important, what does my heart feel, what does my mind want to do.”

At the bottom of the ‘purificaiton grave’ is a pillow and a yoga mat. A piece of fabric covering the mat has the phrase “STAY WEIRD” printed on it. Phones and books are prohibited.

Dutch University Offers 'Purification Grave' - Coast to Coast AM

Reactions: Paintman
I dunno....I'm slightly conflicted with this one. What say you? Good or bad therapy approach?

I think I'll struggle on while alive,I don't need that to make me appreciate my time here but it might help some people.When my body goes into a grave It won't be coming out. :relieved:.

Reactions: Debi
Memento mori is an old school Catholic practice. Saint Padre Pio had a replica of a human skull outside of his room. Played practical jokes on his fellow priests with it.:p Lots of art has skulls in it, along with medallions of the Saints, and even chaplets and rosaries have little beads shaped like skulls. It is not an uncommon reminder, but more common in countries that speak the Romantic languages.
Personally I think this article is college students doing weird things for shock value. It looks like playing with fire, because if you get a depressed student in that grave it can conjure up all kinds of bad emotions, that could lead to bad things. My 2 cents.

I think in the past when death was on the door of winter yearly, people did not need a reminder to APPRECIATE life. I think this is the purpose here. In this age with a well spoiled youth and medical advancements, death appears far of to the young. They seem to need a “grounding” to help them recognize what is really important. I think this may be a good thing if a bit unconventional.

Call it what you will, it's not for me. If it helps some people, i gave no objection to the practice.
My biggest concern would be what Paint shared. Some with suicidal thoughts might feel this was a peaceful experience and act upon it. This is what gives me pause on this practice for people not on a spiritual path with nothing to anchor their thoughts.

My biggest concern would be what Paint shared. Some with suicidal thoughts might feel this was a peaceful experience and act upon it. This is what gives me pause on this practice for people not on a spiritual path with nothing to anchor their thoughts.

My thoughts exactly. If someone is in a bad place, this is not a good thing. In a positive place, it could be an interesting experience. Just the thought of doing this, from the photo alone, makes me think of my own mortality in this life, the next life, the cycle of birth-death-birth etc., being one with nature ... ok, I'll shut up now. (I just think it could be a positive thing for some but dangerous for others.)