Psych says possession is real

I think the main requirement for an exorcist would be a very close, deep & comfortable/non-dramatic & very grounded relationship with God.

A priest under stress or pressures or who sort of has done more redundant chanting as a substitute for quiet, calm deep faith would be at great risk.

I saw a drama-documentary once on an Italian priest who specialized in exorcisms. He supposedly was a real guy though. His technique was very nonchalant. He’d done so many exorcisms that he knew the demon’s tricks. He taught other priests how to do it. Possessed people would foam at the mouth & scream & the priest was all like “yeah, whatever”...*splash*. On went the holy water. The subject would writhe in agony. I think at one point he even had to take a call on his cellphone & walked out into the hall for a minute.

What you’ve mentioned in the top paragraph is part of what I’m talking about. So isn’t the relationship with God something that is more or less constant? What I’m trying to understand is what type of preparation is required and wouldn’t it be something ongoing anyway?

What you’ve mentioned in the top paragraph is part of what I’m talking about. So isn’t the relationship with God something that is more or less constant? What I’m trying to understand is what type of preparation is required and wouldn’t it be something ongoing anyway?
Well, sometimes people can have overzealous devotion to God. I don't know quite how to put that in words. When I used to go to church as a child, I'd hang around the coffee table after service and see a lot of who I thought were dedicated souls to the faith standing around gossiping. Light and cordial gossip, but gossip to be sure. It's little cracks in the foundation like that which would make one priest different from the next perhaps.

When confronting the enemy, the cracks need to be at a minimum. If that makes sense? Other than that I don't know about any official preparations per se. Intent is paramount to objects or rituals I'd think.

Reactions: Soul Edge
Well, sometimes people can have overzealous devotion to God. I don't know quite how to put that in words. When I used to go to church as a child, I'd hang around the coffee table after service and see a lot of who I thought were dedicated souls to the faith standing around gossiping. Light and cordial gossip, but gossip to be sure. It's little cracks in the foundation like that which would make one priest different from the next perhaps.

When confronting the enemy, the cracks need to be at a minimum. If that makes sense? Other than that I don't know about any official preparations per se. Intent is paramount to objects or rituals I'd think.

When you say intent, does that mean that the intent has to be specific to the subject in question? So let's say the hypothetical exorcism is for a given person...so would the intent have to be targeted for the individual? And prior to that, they want to know that the person is actually afflicted?

When you say intent, does that mean that the intent has to be specific to the subject in question? So let's say the hypothetical exorcism is for a given person...so would the intent have to be targeted for the individual? And prior to that, they want to know that the person is actually afflicted?
Hmm.. Well the holy water test is a pretty good one. You splash actually blessed material on anyone infested and that person will become enraged with no question about it. If they become enraged at non-blessed ordinary stuff probably not an authentic possession. My experience is that if a person is infested, they can't even sit in the same room with a blessed object.

Intent is merely the intent to bless and cast out evil. That's it. The intent needs to have a strong connection with the Spirit.

Reactions: Soul Edge
Although the Roman Catholic Church does include ritual and prayer in exorcisms, the Vatican's courses in exorcism all begin with a proper grounding in Psychology.

This implies a recognition of the importance, the human psyche/mind is given in the phenomena of possession and exorcism.

The human psyche is capable of producing phenomena so deep and multi-levelled, it can totally immobilise normal behaviour.

Speaking as a psychiatrist, to be possessed does not automatically mean by an evil entity from outside.
The human psyche is quite capable of manifesting all manner of horrors, taking on a life of their own, and assuming control.

When the mind manifests the welcome and harmonious conditions in our lives, we take it for granted, but the moment something unpleasant appears, we don't think to consider how it came about.
"Have my thoughts or emotions produced this phenomenon?

Although the Roman Catholic Church does include ritual and prayer in exorcisms, the Vatican's courses in exorcism all begin with a proper grounding in Psychology.

This implies a recognition of the importance, the human psyche/mind is given in the phenomena of possession and exorcism.

The human psyche is capable of producing phenomena so deep and multi-levelled, it can totally immobilise normal behaviour.

Speaking as a psychiatrist, to be possessed does not automatically mean by an evil entity from outside.
The human psyche is quite capable of manifesting all manner of horrors, taking on a life of their own, and assuming control.

When the mind manifests the welcome and harmonious conditions in our lives, we take it for granted, but the moment something unpleasant appears, we don't think to consider how it came about.
"Have my thoughts or emotions produced this phenomenon?
Our two theories don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I would say that a person’s psychological predisposition sets up conditions whereby a demonic parasite might find fertile ground to settle in.

In fact, in haunted homes where activity is intense & dangerous, the demonic might be attempting to unsettle its victims with fear so that it might gain permission to access one of them by a sort of Stockholm Syndrome invitation. Like one family member in order to recover some feeling of protection or power, begins to identify with & even welcome the agenda of the demonic.

Also, I was trying to message you about something but your profile doesn’t seem to allow that.

Last edited:
Our two theories don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I would say that a person’s psychological predisposition sets up conditions whereby a demonic parasite might find fertile ground to settle in.

In fact, in haunted homes where activity is intense & dangerous, the demonic might be attempting to unsettle its victims with fear so that it might gain permission to access one of them by a sort of Stockholm Syndrome invitation. Like one family member in order to recover some feeling of protection or power, begins to identify with & even welcome the agenda of the demonic.

Also, I was trying to message you about something but your profile doesn’t seem to allow that.

Yes, I do agree with you,
Psychological predisposition together with an inharmonious influence; no matter what it might be, can be a toxic mix.

I'll keep my profile protected for the present, personal security.

can someone help me with vocabulary here? So, about a /demonic entity/ or /demonic parasite/ in a symbiotic relationship with some household human inhabitant ?

Is this phrase referring to a multi dimensional entity? A bad one! As opposed to a multi dimensional entity that brings help?

Or is this about disencarnate entities on the earth plane, just stuck, living here, no body. And they got mad, bored whatever became disruptive? But an individual ? And not a thought form or projection or Introspect / negative introspect (that would be “really bad boundaries “)

Or is this about a group force of incarnate it disincarnate evil somewhat like BAD in the Jungian field or “group mind” ? Like an evil football team or bunch of little evils that work as s group with a leader ? And they definitely visited said house and jumped into one household member currently utilizing their humanity like a punch ball- as opposed to being an angelic entity helping and healing and guiding.

What gives / how would this family get stuck with this? Bad charma? Rotten luck? Ugly mirror in the law of attraction or stuck on toxic family system? An innocent like Job never earned evil through toxic conduct but was thrown to suffereing anyways? Why does this happen on the planet?

can someone help me with vocabulary here? So, about a /demonic entity/ or /demonic parasite/ in a symbiotic relationship with some household human inhabitant ?

Is this phrase referring to a multi dimensional entity? A bad one! As opposed to a multi dimensional entity that brings help?

Or is this about disencarnate entities on the earth plane, just stuck, living here, no body. And they got mad, bored whatever became disruptive? But an individual ? And not a thought form or projection or Introspect / negative introspect (that would be “really bad boundaries “)

Or is this about a group force of incarnate it disincarnate evil somewhat like BAD in the Jungian field or “group mind” ? Like an evil football team or bunch of little evils that work as s group with a leader ? And they definitely visited said house and jumped into one household member currently utilizing their humanity like a punch ball- as opposed to being an angelic entity helping and healing and guiding.

What gives / how would this family get stuck with this? Bad charma? Rotten luck? Ugly mirror in the law of attraction or stuck on toxic family system? An innocent like Job never earned evil through toxic conduct but was thrown to suffereing anyways? Why does this happen on the planet?
So demonic possession refers to a demon (fallen angel, succubus, etc.) Taking control of a person or animal. Possession can refer to any non corporeal being taking control of anyone.

Reactions: Debi

All of your questions have a bunch of different answers, mostly based on what belief system you are coming from. Remember, in the paranormal and even the spiritual world, we don't have all the answers to these things. Our "best assumptions" are what we work with when we try to explain these things. Our theories and assumptions are based on writings, experiences, and history in relationship to these things.

Reactions: Lynne and Mokey