Priest talks about Exorcisms

It would be interesting to know the backstory of what it took to get the Church hierarchy/his superiors to permit him to write the book, and their review/editing process prior to its release.

That would be interesting considering the Church's 'need to know basis' on the whole subject of exorcisms and demonology.

Reactions: Black Cloud
That would be interesting considering the Church's 'need to know basis' on the whole subject of exorcisms and demonology.
There is that, but I was thinking more along the lines of Church politics and internal bickering (if any) on who would have a say, and final say, on what eventually got published. I was caught in such situations relative to papers I wrote/briefings I gave back in the day. I have to believe the Church is every bit as political as any large institution with just as many rice bowl claims.

Titch, one little minor point to point out. An exorcism has to be approved by the local Bishop not the Vatican. These decisions are best not made under a centralized bureaucracy. There are too many social and cultural factors at play.

The Catholic Church hierarchy is a little different than what a lot of people think. It's based on the concept of subsidiarity. Local is best, and the local Bishops have tremendous authority.

The ritual that target's demonic oppression is less rigorously investigated, has a lower bar to hurdle concerning medical and psychiatric problems. And I have a feeling that this is what author of the book is actually doing several times a week.

Duke, I'm also curious what kind of permissions the Priest had to get to write this book.

Here is a story I told a few times so if you've heard it before skip over it. During the late 90s there was an article in Chicago Sun-Times about several exorcists coming to town to help out. It was on page three so it was important but it was only a few column inches long. It was a press release from Francis Cardinal George's office.
This set off a firestorm in the media and everybody had many more questions they wanted answers for. The media was met with silence and turned away with any questions regarding the new exorcists that came to town.
And after a week we never heard a peep out of the media.
In the meantime I was painting a Catholic Church and was asking the property manager about what's going on between the Cardinal's office and media ? ( I should now say that the property manager was also a pretty learned person who took all the coursework for his Deaconate, and ispretty clued into church operations & politics).

He simply stated that somebody in that office probably messed up when they typed up that press release. A band of Exorcists landing in Chicago is not things that should be publicized because it would scare the crap out of the laity. People would come out of the woodwork requesting help, and investigations are a tremendous commitment of resources to weed out the one to three percent truly needs attention.

Here is another good one. Father Amorth passed away in 2016.
images (1).jpeg

There is that, but I was thinking more along the lines of Church politics and internal bickering (if any) on who would have a say, and final say, on what eventually got published. I was caught in such situations relative to papers I wrote/briefings I gave back in the day. I have to believe the Church is every bit as political as any large institution with just as many rice bowl claims.
Duke, it just occurred to me that if the priest needed an imprimatur or just permission to write the book it would have been approved by Cardinal Gregory in Washington DC. That does not preclude unofficial approval from Rome.

Duke, it just occurred to me that if the priest needed an imprimatur or just permission to write the book it would have been approved by Cardinal Gregory in Washington DC. That does not preclude unofficial approval from Rome.
In the big picture, I agree the Cardinal would have probably been the ultimate sign off authority. I imagine, however, a Cardinal has a number of staff underlings responsible for different disciplines and areas of responsibility who would have read and commented on the book. Disagreements among staff as a function of their areas of responsibility ("rice bowls" in DoD speak) can be difficult and time consuming. It's that type of scenario I'm curious about relative to the book.

Lynne's right. One of my favorite Radio Priests has aided in exorcisms. Over the years he's revealed several things. Exorcists are often not long lived.
In general, an exorcism is a long and tedious process over months. He likened it to coaxing a badger out from underneath your porch. So I guess that doesn't make for blockbuster movies.
Prior to an exorcism everyone on that team goes through a period of prayer, fasting, and penance. Jesus was very clear when he emphasized fasting.
What else? Don't try this by yourself at home. For obvious reasons.
It looks like a really good book I'd like to read it.
I was thinking the same Paint. I don’t know if he’s really doing possession releases or just moving off troublesome oppressors and pests. Still a necessary thing. Not that he doesn’t do the full deal but I’m guessing he’s not doing full on exorcisms daily. That would be impossible unless God has given him a special gift. Which is possible.

Only if it is a full exorcism. Minor rites of exorcism are much shorter and usually only span over 1-2 days.

One of the main reasons for this is that a priest can usually conduct a minor rite of exorcism at their own discretion and typically conducted if a single diabolical entity is identified.

A full rite of exorcism (or the rite of solemn exorcism), which (in the Catholic belief) can only be conducted under the consent of the Church (and typically following consent from the Vatican), usually requires an investigative period by the Church prior to giving consent to conduct the ritual. Then, an exorcism may be conducted over a period of 'sessions', depending on the entity and what its intended target's physical, mental and spiritual position is. A full rite is normally allocated to a senior priest with years of experience in exorcism but may be assisted by a number of other ordained priests. The main reason behind this is that the most extreme possessions normally involve a 'top ranking' demon who holds a legion of lower demons (or minions) under their control and as such, the possession will normally involve more than one diabolical entity.

An example of this was the account of the exorcism of Michael Taylor from Leeds, England in 1974. The conducting priests documented that they 'pulled' over 40 demons from Micheal, all under control by a higher ranking demon. Unfortunately, following this period of exorcism, Micheal went on to kill his wife in a very brutal way before strangling the family poodle. The Church believed that a number of demons remained attached to him after the initial ritual was conducted. Micheal had no recollection of the event when stopped, wandering the streets all bloodied, by the Police following the incident and spent 2 years in a psychiatric hospital before being released.

Where the Catholic Church requires priests to be trained in the ritual of exorcism rites, in principle, every Christian has the power to command demons and drive them out in the name of Christ.

Now, that's a scary thought...........
You said things much better Titch, I commented before reading your response.

My review copy of his book arrived today and it is quite interesting!
Be careful what you do, and let your children do, on Halloween! These exorcists don't like it at all...

Reactions: Debi
My review copy of his book arrived today and it is quite interesting!
Be careful what you do, and let your children do, on Halloween! These exorcists don't like it at all...
I may have to get that book. Should make a very interesting show, Bob!