Priest asks for back-up

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Irish priest asks for back-up as demand for exorcisms rises 'exponentially'

Dublin, Ireland, Jan 24, 2018 / 11:08 pm (CNA).- An Irish priest and exorcist is asking the country's bishops for more support after noticing a dramatic increase in demonic activity in the country.

In a recent interview with The Irish Catholic, Fr. Pat Collins said he has been overwhelmed with the number of requests for exorcisms from the faithful in Ireland. In an open letter, he has urged the Irish bishops to train more priests to deal with the demand.

“(I)t’s only in recent years that the demand has risen exponentially,” Collins told The Irish Catholic.

Collins’ comments are on par with those of other exorcists throughout the world, including the International Association of Exorcists (IAE), a group of 400 Catholic leaders and priests, which has reported a dramatic increase in demonic activity in recent years.

In 2014, the IAE said the levels of demonic activity throughout the world had reached what they considered a “pastoral emergency.”

Collins said that he was “baffled” that the bishops haven’t trained more exorcists for Ireland, and added that anyone who doesn’t see the need for more exorcists is “out of touch with reality.”

“What I’m finding out desperately, is people who in their own minds believe – rightly or wrongly – that they’re afflicted by an evil spirit,” Collins said.

“I think in many cases they wrongly think it, but when they turn to the Church, the Church doesn’t know what to do with them and they refer them on either to a psychologist or to somebody that they’ve heard of that is interested in this form of ministry, and they do fall between the cracks and often are not helped,” he added.

A spokesperson for the bishops' conference at Maynooth told The Irish Catholic that each diocese is required to have a trained exorcist, who is able to discern the difference between signs of true demonic possession and signs of mental or psychological illness.

“Exorcisms are very rare and this office has not been made aware of any cases of ‘exorcism’ in Ireland in recent years,” the spokesperson said.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between demonic activity and mental illness. From paragraph 1673: “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.”

Full story at site.

The need seems to be on the rise everywhere from the reports we’ve read here and elsewhere. Perhaps if there were more priests trained spiritual activity could be stopped at oppression before it progresses. People would have more support in this area and feel more comfortable coming forward for help.

Interesting. Being of the Muslim faith, I can say there has been a similar type of awareness or at least greater acceptance of the notion of supernatural affliction, including demonic possession. However before having to resort to going to someone specifically trained in exorcism, there are a number of measures one can take by themselves first. Here I use the term possession loosely and not necessarily denoting the extreme level that one might see in a movie involving exorcism.

Reactions: Seahunter
Is there a shyness it reluctance among priests and other religious figures to get the training and thus perform exorcisms ?

Reactions: Lynne
Is there a shyness it reluctance among priests and other religious figures to get the training and thus perform exorcisms ?
It's a step many don't wish to take, Critter, for various reasons. First, the danger involved. Second, you then become "that exorcist" guy. It's a label you don't walk away from.

It's a step many don't wish to take, Critter, for various reasons. First, the danger involved. Second, you then become "that exorcist" guy. It's a label you don't walk away from.

Pretty much this, though I’d guess that the danger would be more of a factor. I’m not well versed in how it is among Christian clergy but this is probably the biggest factor when it comes to Muslim clergy (or Muslims in general) taking on something like this—the possibility of repercussions against oneself and family and the vigilance required to protect oneself.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
Pretty much this, though I’d guess that the danger would be more of a factor. I’m not well versed in how it is among Christian clergy but this is probably the biggest factor when it comes to Muslim clergy (or Muslims in general) taking on something like this—the possibility of repercussions against oneself and family and the vigilance required to protect oneself.
My sense is the two religions have much in common on this, Edge. Semantics aside, these entities are dangerous, and clergy of any faith must be firm in their committment to fight them and hold a strong faith within. When one takes on this mission, it's much like becoming a warrior. One must be ready to go into battle if necessary. Huge commitment and one not taken lightly.

Reactions: 7Critter
Interesting. Being of the Muslim faith, I can say there has been a similar type of awareness or at least greater acceptance of the notion of supernatural affliction, including demonic possession. However before having to resort to going to someone specifically trained in exorcism, there are a number of measures one can take by themselves first. Here I use the term possession loosely and not necessarily denoting the extreme level that one might see in a movie involving exorcism.
I don’t know too much about Islam’s teachings of demons (i know a lot of what you call Djinn) but generally other faiths understand three different phases of demonic activity.

1: obsession or infestation.
This is when they come into your life, and usually this is when they make themselves known.

2:eek:ppression.
This is when they start attacking you until you’re weak enough to either succumb to their forces in the form of sickness and injury.

Then there’s possession. Which is self explanatory :p

Btw, welcome to the forum! I’m glad we’re getting more faith groups joining paranormal discussion. Makes things more interesting.

Reactions: 7Critter
My sense is the two religions have much in common on this, Edge. Semantics aside, these entities are dangerous, and clergy of any faith must be firm in their committment to fight them and hold a strong faith within. When one takes on this mission, it's much like becoming a warrior. One must be ready to go into battle if necessary. Huge commitment and one not taken lightly.

My educated guess is that both religions will have some of the core principles that match with respect to dealing with the paranormal, particularly faith and spiritual strength.
Now I’m not sure about how well defined the procedures are in Christianity but in the Islamic context there are some basic principles but implementation details are sometimes a point of contention. The actual implementation details are in large part learned from experience.

One of the aspects of it that makes the masses uncomfortable with it is that they see it as someone getting power over the unseen.

Reactions: Debi
I don’t know too much about Islam’s teachings of demons (i know a lot of what you call Djinn) but generally other faiths understand three different phases of demonic activity.

1: obsession or infestation.
This is when they come into your life, and usually this is when they make themselves known.

2:eek:ppression.
This is when they start attacking you until you’re weak enough to either succumb to their forces in the form of sickness and injury.

Then there’s possession. Which is self explanatory :p

Btw, welcome to the forum! I’m glad we’re getting more faith groups joining paranormal discussion. Makes things more interesting.

Demons for us are all jinn. The ones we call demon or devils are just the ones that are evil. Jinn who are good will have similar qualities to angels.

What I’ve referred to as possession encompasses the different steps you’ve described. Even prior to obsession/infestation, there are more subtle influences that can be there without a person even knowing about their presence.

Reactions: Debi