Presence at night

Sophy J

Reaction score
Hi there. I live with my fiancé. He snores so sometimes one of us goes into a different room. It is only when I'm alone that sometimes I'm awake with a sense of a dark presence around me. It starts with a weird buzzing in my body. I don't know if it's sleep paralysis as I can't move but can try to say "leave" or other similar things. Although early this am my daughter heard me yell out. It only happens to me when I'm not sleeping with my fiancé. Of note one time lying in my bed awake I had a sentence peaceful experience with lights around my head and I remember smiling. My sister recently passed. I need some thoughts and insights cause I feel like I'm going crazy. Thanks. Sophy

Reactions: Roswell Rayguns
Welcome to the ParaNormalForum Sophy. Many have felt the presence of a visitor, especially after a recent passing or on the anniversary of a passing or birthday. You are not going crazy.

Reactions: Debi
Hi there. I live with my fiancé. He snores so sometimes one of us goes into a different room. It is only when I'm alone that sometimes I'm awake with a sense of a dark presence around me. It starts with a weird buzzing in my body. I don't know if it's sleep paralysis as I can't move but can try to say "leave" or other similar things. Although early this am my daughter heard me yell out. It only happens to me when I'm not sleeping with my fiancé. Of note one time lying in my bed awake I had a sentence peaceful experience with lights around my head and I remember smiling. My sister recently passed. I need some thoughts and insights cause I feel like I'm going crazy. Thanks. Sophy
Hi Sophy and welcome to the forum.

You may actually be having two different experiences, and no! Not crazy! As 7Christie said, many people have visitations after the passing of a loved one. I would think perhaps that second peaceful experience of lights may be that kind of visitation. No reason to fear that if it's making you smile and bringing you peace! :)

The first one you mention sounds much like sleep paralysis. The buzzing you're feeling can also be an indicator of the beginnings of an OBE, or out of body experience. Have you ever had any experiences such as this before?

Sophy, hope you don't mind but I'm moving your thread over to the experiences area here. Once again, welcome and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Reactions: 7Critter
Hi Sophy and welcome to the forum.

You may actually be having two different experiences, and no! Not crazy! As 7Christie said, many people have visitations after the passing of a loved one. I would think perhaps that second peaceful experience of lights may be that kind of visitation. No reason to fear that if it's making you smile and bringing you peace! :)

The first one you mention sounds much like sleep paralysis. The buzzing you're feeling can also be an indicator of the beginnings of an OBE, or out of body experience. Have you ever had any experiences such as this before?

Sophy, hope you don't mind but I'm moving your thread over to the experiences area here. Once again, welcome and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Thanks for replying. I agree with both things you are saying and actually thought it was sleep paralysis too. I do have it often and it sometimes scares me. Any insight?

Thanks for replying. I agree with both things you are saying and actually thought it was sleep paralysis too. I do have it often and it sometimes scares me. Any insight?
I have never had an out of body experience ( OBE ) , but if this is something that you are interested in, my understanding is that its best to try are stay calm and try to enjoy the experience.

Reactions: Lynne
Hi again! I just got home so sorry for the delay in an answer. SP is a very common thing. From a medical standpoint, it's that point when your brain is telling the body to stop moving around and sleep....but a glitch happens and doesn't send the message to shut down the brain. That's a very loose explanation, but covers the basics. The buzzing you feel or hear often signals that the soul can leave the body for an OBE. Most people panic and don't allow the experience. You have to be really secure in your faith to do this and it takes some practice.

As for your other experience, when we first lose someone and they cross the veil, you may find they reach out in many different ways. When you have the experience and feel it may be related to a spirit visitor, don't be afraid to talk out loud to them and acknowledge the visit.

Reactions: 7Critter
Hi again! I just got home so sorry for the delay in an answer. SP is a very common thing. From a medical standpoint, it's that point when your brain is telling the body to stop moving around and sleep....but a glitch happens and doesn't send the message to shut down the brain. That's a very loose explanation, but covers the basics. The buzzing you feel or hear often signals that the soul can leave the body for an OBE. Most people panic and don't allow the experience. You have to be really secure in your faith to do this and it takes some practice.

As for your other experience, when we first lose someone and they cross the veil, you may find they reach out in many different ways. When you have the experience and feel it may be related to a spirit visitor, don't be afraid to talk out loud to them and acknowledge the visit.

Thank you so much! I just need to sleep lol. Perimenopause and all.

Thank you so much! I just need to sleep lol. Perimenopause and all.
Been through that! lol NOT fun! Sophy, feel free to browse around and post anywhere! We'd love to have you as part of the family here. We meet on weeknights to listen in to a Pararnormal radio program at 10 PM, Tuesday nights we start at 9. We meet on the Live Chat thread of the day. And that chat thread is available everyday to just chat with others throughout the day. If you have any questions or need help in navigating, just let me know. Always happy to be of assistance. :)