Preparedness and Survival Skills

Yes! This is something I have been wanting to do for years. If the power goes out, HAM operators are the first people to get important communications through. This would be a great skill to have.

good point. even if it is just to learn how to use it in an emergency situation,which is why I got it in the first place

Reactions: Seahunter
I have some map and compass skills. They need some polishing up but give me a map and no compass, and I’ll figure out north no problem.
Sure you do. In Canada everywhere you look is North. (But that is only my perspective.;))

Reactions: Charleh
The initial military guy (Dave Canterbury) on "Dual Survival" runs survival classes in nearby Hillsboro, Ohio. His classes are always full up, but I understand his teaching methods and overall demeanor are not for the faint of heart.

The Best Survival Training | The Best Survival School
Wow, they have some really cool sounding classes. Prices don't seem too bad. I'd love to take the knife making class.

Okay, I had a couple suggestions for a new thread from jadamz and Charleh that will start our new thread here for Preparedness and Survival Skills.

Anything having to do with preparedness is applicable here.

Some general suggestions:

Plan Ahead for Disasters | Ready.gov
Make A Plan | Ready.gov

Prepare For Emergencies | Be Red Cross Ready | Red Cross

Prepare My Family for a Disaster

Any survival skills are also covered here, and the list should be very helpful for getting the proper skills and training to survive natural or man-made disasters.

Reactions: NobleHouse
I'm an okay flint knapper. At least, I can make survival grade tools, if not pretty. Here's a point I made from a tabular piece of unheattreated Mounds (Lafayette) chert/gravel.

Mounds chert.jpg

Last edited:
What do you guys think are good barter items, other than the obvious, ammunition, food and fuel?

I just realized I have about 18 shot glasses of all sorts of styles. I’m sure if I got no booze to barter I could trade a shot glass for something since it’s useful.