Preparedness and Survival Skills

jadamz

the Countess
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
Yes! This is something I have been wanting to do for years. If the power goes out, HAM operators are the first people to get important communications through. This would be a great skill to have.

good point. even if it is just to learn how to use it in an emergency situation,which is why I got it in the first place

Reactions: Seahunter

Paintman

Go Go White Sox
Tier-1 Mod
Reaction score
I have some map and compass skills. They need some polishing up but give me a map and no compass, and I’ll figure out north no problem.
Sure you do. In Canada everywhere you look is North. (But that is only my perspective.;))

Reactions: Charleh
OP
OP
Seahunter

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
The initial military guy (Dave Canterbury) on "Dual Survival" runs survival classes in nearby Hillsboro, Ohio. His classes are always full up, but I understand his teaching methods and overall demeanor are not for the faint of heart.

The Best Survival Training | The Best Survival School
Wow, they have some really cool sounding classes. Prices don't seem too bad. I'd love to take the knife making class.

OP
OP
Seahunter

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
Okay, I had a couple suggestions for a new thread from jadamz and Charleh that will start our new thread here for Preparedness and Survival Skills.

Anything having to do with preparedness is applicable here.

Some general suggestions:

Plan Ahead for Disasters | Ready.gov
Make A Plan | Ready.gov

Prepare For Emergencies | Be Red Cross Ready | Red Cross

Prepare My Family for a Disaster

Any survival skills are also covered here, and the list should be very helpful for getting the proper skills and training to survive natural or man-made disasters.

Reactions: NobleHouse

T-Bob

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I'm an okay flint knapper. At least, I can make survival grade tools, if not pretty. Here's a point I made from a tabular piece of unheattreated Mounds (Lafayette) chert/gravel.

Mounds chert.jpg

Last edited:

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
What do you guys think are good barter items, other than the obvious, ammunition, food and fuel?

I just realized I have about 18 shot glasses of all sorts of styles. I’m sure if I got no booze to barter I could trade a shot glass for something since it’s useful.