Praying away hurricanes

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Can prayers keep hurricanes away? In Key West, many residents count on it

Kay Thomas knows she can’t do much when a hurricane is approaching the Florida Keys.

She can stock up on supplies, evacuate from the island chain, or ride it out like she did during 2017’s Hurricane Irma — which spared her hometown of Key West but severely damaged Keys neighborhoods to the north.

But there is one thing she does at the start of each hurricane season: pray.

“That’s about the best I can do,” Thomas said. “I feel better even though I know that just me alone, I’m not moving mountains.”

Every June 1, locals like Thomas flock to an Old Town church in an effort to pray away storms from directly striking the island.

The candles flicker in an outdoor space at The Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea, 1010 Windsor Lane, called the Grotto.

Thomas, who describes herself as a spiritual seeker rather than religious, offers a prayer every month, from June 1 through the end of November.

“I light one at the beginning and then as they begin to manifest the Grotto gets extra candles,” Thomas said. “It makes me feel like I can do something.”

The Grotto is formally called Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, which dates back to 1922 and honors Sister Louis Gabriel.

Key West lore says the candle prayer ritual works when it comes to staving off hurricanes from the tiny island. A major storm hasn’t struck the island since the Grotto was created.

Hurricane Wilma swamped the island in 2005 and Hurricane Georges came across in 1998. But the island has been spared — so far.

0606190809a.jpg

Full story at site

Can prayers keep hurricanes away? In Key West, many residents count on it

Kay Thomas knows she can’t do much when a hurricane is approaching the Florida Keys.

She can stock up on supplies, evacuate from the island chain, or ride it out like she did during 2017’s Hurricane Irma — which spared her hometown of Key West but severely damaged Keys neighborhoods to the north.

But there is one thing she does at the start of each hurricane season: pray.

“That’s about the best I can do,” Thomas said. “I feel better even though I know that just me alone, I’m not moving mountains.”

Every June 1, locals like Thomas flock to an Old Town church in an effort to pray away storms from directly striking the island.

The candles flicker in an outdoor space at The Basilica of St. Mary Star of the Sea, 1010 Windsor Lane, called the Grotto.

Thomas, who describes herself as a spiritual seeker rather than religious, offers a prayer every month, from June 1 through the end of November.

“I light one at the beginning and then as they begin to manifest the Grotto gets extra candles,” Thomas said. “It makes me feel like I can do something.”

The Grotto is formally called Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, which dates back to 1922 and honors Sister Louis Gabriel.

Key West lore says the candle prayer ritual works when it comes to staving off hurricanes from the tiny island. A major storm hasn’t struck the island since the Grotto was created.

Hurricane Wilma swamped the island in 2005 and Hurricane Georges came across in 1998. But the island has been spared — so far.

0606190809a.jpg

Full story at site
oh that is lovely....

I think that is beautiful. And I see no reason why it could not, at the least, help.

There is a small city on the Arkansas - Missouri border where a small band of Cherokee who fled the Trail of Tears that goes through here set up their camp... it is said that one of the Blessings they Sang on arrival was a Storm/Weather Protection Prayer. That was way back then. To this day there has never been a tornado touch down there while the rest of the area is always hard hit in the tornado season. So.

There IS a Power to Prayer - Light is a High Vibration so whether from direct intervention or Vibrations lifted as an Energy... it seems to me to be right and well to invoke Prayer in these matters.

I think that is beautiful. And I see no reason why it could not, at the least, help.

There is a small city on the Arkansas - Missouri border where a small band of Cherokee who fled the Trail of Tears that goes through here set up their camp... it is said that one of the Blessings they Sang on arrival was a Storm/Weather Protection Prayer. That was way back then. To this day there has never been a tornado touch down there while the rest of the area is always hard hit in the tornado season. So.

There IS a Power to Prayer - Light is a High Vibration so whether from direct intervention or Vibrations lifted as an Energy... it seems to me to be right and well to invoke Prayer in these matters.
Totally agree and couldn’t say it better. Prayer changes things.