Possible Activity - Brand New House?

Dasjman

Reaction score
About a year ago, my wife and I moved out to the country, moving into a brand new home in a small neighborhood where everyone has at least an acre of land, so nobody is sitting on top of each other. We are well away from much of anything. No gas, groceries, restaurants, etc. for about a twenty minute drive in any direction, which offers us the peace and quite we were looking for. I must say that up until last summer, I've been pretty skeptical of all things paranormal.

After this first year, I am becoming convinced that there may be some sort of paranormal activity going on in our new home. Things started off fairly quietly, although I would notice random sounds throughout the day and night, much of which I wrote off as the house settling and still assume that is the case. As a skeptic, everything was written off without further questions. That changed when I came home from attending an afternoon baseball game and my wife told me that she saw something.

She had just laid down to try to take a nap on the couch when she said she got a sudden chill right down to the bone, and opened her eyes. She said she immediately saw two figures standing in the living room, a man and a child. Both were wearing red and black plaid, long sleeve shirts. She said neither had a visible face, but the man was more visible than the child. She jumped up scared, and they were gone.

For the most part, I wrote this off as coming out of a dream, but I didn't act dismissive of her experience. She insisted she had just laid down on the couch and had not fallen asleep, being a matter of moments after she laid down. I noted it in the back of my mind and moved on, pretty much sarcastically blaming the two ghosts for any number of things, like if I forgot to put something away, or tracked in some dirt on the clean floor, the ghosts did it.

The next thing to happen was more on the "have I watched too many ghost investigator shows" level, but I can't dismiss it either. There are no street lights or anything within miles of our little neighborhood, which has about twenty houses with a small lake bordering one side. Sometimes, I wake up and need to hit the head, and I don't want to wake up my wife, so I will grab the bedside flashlight (it's a small LED style) and I'll use the guest bathroom. One recent night I was walking through the house and the flashlight started to dim, and continued to dim until it was barely creating any light at all. I figured it was just time to change the batteries and turned it off. The flashlight worked fine for the next several days, before again dimming suddenly to where there was almost no light coming from it. Minutes later it was fine again.

A couple weeks later, my wife calls me at work and asks me if I got anything out of the dresser that morning. I had gotten a pair of dress socks out, and asked her why she wanted to know. She said she was in the bathroom getting ready for work and she heard he metal handle to one of the dresser drawers clank (anyone who has the movable dresser handles rather than knobs knows they make pretty distinct sounds when you let go of them) and it freaked her out. The time frame for when she heard that noise does not match up to the time I got out the dress socks. In fact, I was already on the way to work when it happened. We tried to recreate what would have caused the handle to make the noise on its own, but without any results.

A few weeks later I was running water in the kitchen sink. We have various trinkets on the window ledge above the sink, some of which are my wife's cute little pigs made out of some sort of clay or pottery. They are about the size of racket balls, round, except for the bottom which are flat, and solid, so not lightweight.

Anyway, I was running the water and one of the four pigs began turning, making a complete 90 degree turn. Mind you, this was not a vibrating type of turn, but a smooth quarter turn. None of the other pigs moved at all, and there was no discernible vibration going on at the time. I am having trouble explaining away what would cause one of four equally weighted ceramic pigs move at an exact quarter turn and then simply stop.

A few days later, one of my baseball caps and a dew rag style headband were in the middle of the office floor. The hat COULD have fallen off the desk chair and rolled to where it was, but not the headband.

Back to the solid ceramic pigs. Not the ones on the window ledge this time, but similar ones on the counter. Yeah, my wife likes pig stuff. Anyway, upon coming home from dinner later in the summer, the middle of three pigs was turned completely around, snout facing the backsplash, tail pointed out. The other two were facing out as normal.

It's getting harder to explain away these things. What would cause he middle of three, located right next to each other (maybe an inch apart each) all weighing approximately the same (handmade, so there are probably slight variances) to rotate around 90 degrees while the other two remained stationary?

After that, months went by with nothing of interest, until a couple weeks ago, and it was something both me and my wife experienced together, the first time we were both there when something happened.

A little background on the layout of the part of the house we were in: It's a Great Room, meaning the living, dining, and kitchen is one big room. There is one partial wall, covering a portion of the kitchen where the stove and a few cabinets are, but other than that, it's open.

So we were on the couch watching television. Suddenly, I hear plain as day, a human whistle one time. Very quickly. I would describe it as "Yoo-hoo" in human whistle form, if you get what I'm trying to say. It wasn't right next to us, but further back behind us, somewhere in the dining/kitchen part of the room.

I didn't immediately respond, as I tried to process whether it had come from the television or not, and I casually, but apparently with some curiosity on my face, looked around slowly. I didn't want to freak out my wife immediately, because to be honest, when it happened, my initial reaction was that someone (living) was in the house. I obviously wasn't that casual, because my wife looked at me and asked me if I had just heard a whistle. I agreed I had. I got up and checked out the house, to find nothing. We stopped the DVR, rewound, and replayed the part of the show we were watching, to see if it was on the show and it just sounded like it came from behind us. It was not on the show.

It was kind of creepy, because it seemed to be such as "I'm here trying to get your attention" type of thing. It did not occur again, nor did anything else happen that night or since then. I tried to figure out whether it could have been anything other than a human whistling, and could not come up with anything.

It's clear as a sunny day in my mind. I hear the whistle. "Yoo-hoo".

There's just a decent amount of things going on that may or may not be related to each other for us to look into it more. We're curious about the history of the land, just to see if we can find anything that would tie in to two figures she saw. I don't know where we will start, but hopefully it will be an interesting journey. I'm certainly much lest skeptical today than I was last year, that's for sure.

Anyway, thanks for giving our experiences a read. I know it's not as exciting as chairs moving across the room but it's peaked my interest, for sure!

Last edited:
Excellent description. Thanks for that ! I bet you're going to get a lot of replies to this.
Sometimes when a spirit is in a house, it either wants your help, meaning prayer. Or it wants to scare the heck out of you for some reason. In both cases it wants your attention.

Excellent description. Thanks for that ! I bet you're going to get a lot of replies to this.
Sometimes when a spirit is in a house, it either wants your help, meaning prayer. Or it wants to scare the heck out of you for some reason. In both cases it wants your attention.
Thanks. This has been a "whole new world" type of thing so far. I'll definitely appreciate every response and/or any advice that I get along the way. I needed somewhere to share without the veil of "Oh here's a crazy story" around friends, you know?

Welcome to the fourm, Dasjman. Glad to have you with us.

First, let me say you did a GREAT job of laying out the activity. Thank you for such clarity. What you describe is actually exactly what many others describe when a haunting first begins. Every single thing, including the pigs turning, fit a haunting scenario. The thing about true activity is it comes in short events that leave us scratching our heads going,"Did that just happen?" As the spirits get bolder, the activity gets a bit more "in your face" and obvious.

Paint is correct...they want your attention. Now come my questions. Do you want to get rid of/stop the activity? Some people do and some people get drawn in by it and want to see "more"...never a good idea, actually. You are doing well with taking the route of researching. Also, do you have any religious affiliations? Clergy may come into play here depending on what you want as an outcome to this.

welcome to the forum, Dasjman! I must commend you for keeping your cool in light of everything going on. if its a malevolent spirit, they feed off of fear. good to know you arent feeding it. reading everything so far, I can call this spirit benign unless you're skipping any details.
As a skeptic, everything was written off without further questions. That changed when I came home from attending an afternoon baseball game and my wife told me that she saw something.
skepticism is healthy in the paranormal community. it keeps us as sane as possible :D ive seen some confirmed crazy paranormal activity but despite that I handle everything I experience or read about with a hint of criticism so I don't jump to conclusions on mundane things.
She had just laid down to try to take a nap on the couch when she said she got a sudden chill right down to the bone, and opened her eyes. She said she immediately saw two figures standing in the living room, a man and a child. Both were wearing red and black plaid, long sleeve shirts. She said neither had a visible face, but the man was more visible than the child. She jumped up scared, and they were gone.

For the most part, I wrote this off as coming out of a dream, but I didn't act dismissive of her experience. She insisted she had just laid down on the couch and had not fallen asleep, being a matter of moments after she laid down. I noted it in the back of my mind and moved on, pretty much sarcastically blaming the two ghosts for any number of things, like if I forgot to put something away, or tracked in some dirt on the clean floor, the ghosts did it.
if this only happened once, it could be hypnagogic hallucinations. basically where you are seeing things that aren't there in the first second or so of waking up. but because of the other factors below, I highly doubt your wife was just seeing things. another question for clarify things is did your wife feel like she couldn't move when she saw these things, or did she feel overly fearful in that moment?
Anyway, I was running the water and one of the four pigs began turning, making a complete 45 degree turn. Mind you, this was not a vibrating type of turn, but a smooth quarter turn. None of the other pigs moved at all, and there was no discernible vibration going on at the time. I am having trouble explaining away what would cause one of four equally weighted ceramic pigs move at an exact quarter turn and then simply stop.
no, not strange at all. nothing to see here.

I'm kidding. there's no explanation for a piece of pottery moving on its own with no vibrations in the area. also some spirits are very specific in what they do, like you'll see it move something exactly 45 degrees or something of that nature.
So we were on the couch watching television. Suddenly, I hear plain as day, a human whistle one time. Very quickly. I would describe it as "Yoo-hoo" in human whistle form, if you get what I'm trying to say. It wasn't right next to us, but further back behind us, somewhere in the dining/kitchen part of the room.
I'm glad you made the effort to double check that it wasn't the tv making that sound. your skepticism is paying off my friend! how many times has this happened?

has any paranormal activity followed you at any point in your life, or is this just in this home?

this has been a very interesting story. I'm glad you shared it!

welcome to the forum, Dasjman! I must commend you for keeping your cool in light of everything going on. if its a malevolent spirit, they feed off of fear. good to know you arent feeding it. reading everything so far, I can call this spirit benign unless you're skipping any details.

Thanks. Definitely not skipping any details that I can think of. We aren't afraid or anything. We really don't think about it all that much, going about our daily lives. I mean the initial reaction of seeing a clay pig rotate smoothly right in front of my face was freaky, but after I showed my wife how the pig was facing and explained what happened, it was more of a "see, I told you I saw those two people standing in the living room."

The whistle was the most unsettling, more because we both heard it, and because I had to determine if someone had really entered the house.

another question for clarify things is did your wife feel like she couldn't move when she saw these things, or did she feel overly fearful in that moment?

She said she wasn't asleep, and got major shiver (this was late July in Texas) and felt strange, so she opened her eyes and there they were. Yeah, she said it was only a matter of a second or two, she jumped up, obviously scared, and blinked. They were gone. I have never seen anything personally.

I'm glad you made the effort to double check that it wasn't the tv making that sound. your skepticism is paying off my friend! how many times has this happened?

The whistle? Only the one time a couple weeks ago. This is what I believe to be a complete list of things that I can't explain between July of last year (although little things like noises happened prior) and today.

has any paranormal activity followed you at any point in your life, or is this just in this home?

Just this home, which was built last year. It's brand new!

Thanks. This has been a "whole new world" type of thing so far. I'll definitely appreciate every response and/or any advice that I get along the way. I needed somewhere to share without the veil of "Oh here's a crazy story" around friends, you know?
ive been around a couple churches that claimed they recognized this stuff but still looked at me funny. we've all been there at some point or still are. we just stop caring what others think :p

btw, I'm impressed that you figured out how the quotes work so quickly! took me a couple weeks to get good at it :D

Reactions: garnetsilver
ive been around a couple churches that claimed they recognized this stuff but still looked at me funny. we've all been there at some point or still are. we just stop caring what others think :p

btw, I'm impressed that you figured out how the quotes work so quickly! took me a couple weeks to get good at it :D

Thanks. I know some HTML so I figured I could get it close, at least.