Port Chatham, AK

Cat Man

Reaction score
Hello,

I watched an interesting documentary about a "Hairy Man" living in the Port Chatham area in Alaska. It said that the town was once a thriving fishing and mining area established in 1905. It was abruptly abandoned in 1949 due to unexplained killings thought to be the work of a violent Sasquatch like creature referred to as "Hairy Man". Some people think it was an animal of unknown status to science. If so, that's really interesting because it means Homo Sapiens Sapiens was pushed out of profitable niche by another species. It's usually us who do that. Some folks, however, think this is actually not a flesh and blood creature we're talking about, but rather some sort of evil spirit that manifests in the form of a giant, bipedal, hairy monster. I have a book by Nick Redfern in which he mentions many theories about Sasquatch, including the idea that it isn't flesh and blood either, but rather, some kind of shape shifting spirit.

Anyone know anything about the Port Chatham stories? I'm interested in learning more.

The replies above are all great and give us more background on the subject. I am going to try to find out if there is an in depth study available (a book perhaps). Maybe one is in the works. This story would also make for a very good movie. I just worry that the film industry might mangle the truth for the sake of box office success and turn the story into something it's not.

I am grateful for the replies!

Reactions: Debi